To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, April 2, 2012

Sam's World

Today is World Autism Day and April is also National Autism Month. People will be wearing blue...there will be news stories about the prevalence of the disorder...and you'll see puzzle pieces all over the place. But for our family, everyday is autism awareness day. Autism is a life long companion for us and Sam.


There are days when it seems more of a friend that is responsible for the quirky sense of humor Sam has and the hilarious way he can view things.

Other days I feel like it's enemy that locks my son away from me so that I can't quite reach him or help him and give him what he needs. I wonder if it's a giant thick glass window that allows him to see the world around him but not actually be able to fully participate in that world.



I remember the words, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made..." and see it as a gift sometimes. There are times when that boy has such insight and because his brain is wired so differently that he helps us to see things differently.

Living with autism is a roller coaster of emotion...laughter, confusion, frustration, joy, fear, and an overwhelming love for this odd hard to unlock boy. But I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. He makes my life richer and fuller with his 'issues' as we call it. I hope over the next month to share more stories from Sam's world. And I hope you'll take time to listen and hear from others that live with autism...there's more to these people than that label. A good place to start is here...a short documentary by a father of an autistic boy that is pretty interesting.

1 comments:

s g said...

I am so glad that I know Sam.