To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, March 12, 2012

Emily


When I first got into photography I started doing annual birthday shoots with each of the children. Last year for some reason things did not go as planned and I believe Sarah (after all it was her sixteenth birthday) and Sam were the only two that I actually managed to photograph. I mean I took a lot of pictures of the kids throughout the year but that special me and mom only thing just didn't happen. My own little version of the cobblers kids having no shoes I suppose.
This year I vowed that such would not be the case. But of course February was ridiculously busy and Emily's birthday came and went. But we were both determined to make it happen so exactly one month later we finally sneaked off for an hour or so. I love my kids and spending this time with them is pretty special. It's also bittersweet in that their growing up is kind of in my face. Next year Emily will turn thirteen and the tradition I started with Sarah is a very special session with a formal gown and lots of hoopla. But this year I think I was really able to capture the essence of where she is...that in between stage that still has remnants of  girlness and at the same time the young womanhood that is looming in the not so distant future.
So happy belated birthday, sweet Emily Grace. You bless our hearts.






And my personal favorites

4 comments:

s g said...

Sweet girl. Happy happy day Abby, er... Emily. Love you.
~sg

Kait said...

Emmy, you're growing into such a gorgeous young lady. I have enjoyed watching you grow these past years and look forward to continuing to witness you mature into a wonderful woman.

Happy (late) bithday, Emmy!

I Are Pilots Wife said...

Great pictures, Marty! She's growing up so beautifully.

Heather said...

These are really great pictures!! I just found your blog but as of yet have not figured out how to "follow" it!