To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lessons Learned

Okay, here's the thing. I've been a horrible blogger lately. And I know it. It's me, not you. There have been reasons that aren't really reasons, an avalanche of them actually. I've tried to sort and set the words up in my head but they've stayed a jumbled mass or fell flat. Also there are several people in my life in various forms or fashions that are suffering. And by suffering, I mean life changing, cling to God's hand suffering. And somehow it has seemed ill mannered to be flippant and try to be funny while they go through such things. But I am coming to understand that burdens shared are lighter and laughter is indeed good medicine.
So, here I am hopping back onto the blogging train. I've kind of got a workload  that I'm pulling so I can't say how consistent posting will be but that is something I've decided to not be concerned with.
Now we'll move on shall we and just not mention this anymore, okay?
K.

I have figured out the key to the floor to ceiling wall of mirrors in the gym. Specifically the ones in the room where we do zumba and the step aerobics. If you stand right in front of the seam of two of the mirrors it cuts you in half vertically. Sure it pieces you back together again in a slightly Picasso-ish way but who cares? You look a whole lot skinnier.

Rob and I don't mark Valentine's Day in any really significant manner. Various reasons that have waxed and waned over the years as to why not but it's just never really been a big deal.  (There is a slight suspicion that maybe Rob planned this whole elaborate rejection of what one friend calls the most marketable idea in the history of man early in our relationship so that now years later the bar is so low that a bag of peanut m&m's and a card elicit warm mushy feelings on my part. It's possible but again I ask, who cares? I still get the peanut m&m's or in the case of this year...a whole box of my favorite keurig coffee.) This year I learned a valuable lesson in gift giving for my man.
Bacon makes everything better.
However, everything does not make bacon better. So, even though the recipe for pig candy seemed like a really good idea in theory the reality was not so much. Next year I'm going with a dozen of the bacon roses.

One last thing. I'm sort of disappointed in the latest episode of Downton Abbey. It was a little to common and soap opera-ish. And unfaithfulness is never entertaining to me. I'll probably watch again next week but if it continues down this path I'll probably abandon ship.

Which might now be a bad thing.

1 comments:

BeckyJ said...

Glad to see another post! Hope all is well with you guys. You are hilarious!