To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, January 27, 2012

Sam's World

Last night Rob and I watched a new show starring Kiefer Sutherland called Touch. While both Sutherland and the shows creator Tim Kring have denied that the son of the main character is autistic there are some strong autistic themes visible with the little boy. The show is slightly over the top but compelling at the same time...as one reviewer put it the show "...has it's heart in the right place and it's mind drifting off into unknown places." (I'm not recommending the show or not not recommending the show but using it as a lead up to a Sam story.) There are scenes through the episode that show the difficulty and frustration of trying to connect and communicate with someone who has autistic characteristics. Anyone with an autistic child, relative or friend probably immediately identified with the way the show expressed the sometimes heartbreaking reality of people affected by autism.
Sam's autism is relatively mild but I know full well what it's like to not only be unable to understand and see what is going on in his head but also not being really sure he understands and gets what is going on in our heads or the world around him.
One of the issues we've encountered along these lines is actually quite humorous. There are times when we are only privy to part of the conversation or explanation of something that Sam has expressed whether it's a story, a picture he's drawn, a joke he's telling or something else he's said. We had one of these moments the other night as I was looking through some of his drawings that Sam has saved on our computer from the paint program he uses. The cartoon was so totally random that I literally laughed until I cried. It took me a little while to piece together that it is acutally a mesh of several of his favorite things: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems, Dr. Seuss and The Cosby Show.
I realize this may not be as funny, if funny at all, for you but I still had to share. The character on the left is trying to bribe the one on the right into letting him drive the bus. The cadence of the response is pure Seuss and a play off of some scene in a Cosby episode.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

HAHAHA!! I had to read that comic twice..then I realized..jump off a cliff!! that kid!!

I Are Pilot's Wife said...

Marty, this cracks me up every time I look at it.