To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, December 31, 2011

End of the Year

Such an interesting time of year...we look back and reflect and then forward and make resolutions and plans. It's a time of nostalgia and introspection. This is my second year finishing up my 52 Weeks project. I'm shy a few weeks (like the entire month of October :-) but I figured early on it's my project and it should not add stress to my life. Trying to figure out how to begin and end the series is always a bit of a conundrum. I decided this year to work through themes. The first half of the year was great and using the alphabet was fun. I think I did pretty well at coming up with some creative words and interpretation of them. (Letter A is still one of my favorites, as is L.) I floundered a bit trying to work through colors. It seemed such a simple idea but, for me at least, it was much harder to carry out with any degree of creativity and I was quickly frustrated. I wasn't sure what would be worse...to abandon the whole project or just the theme. In the end I found I couldn't just leave the year undone so I went back to just posting a favorite picture every week, a compromised cop out if you will. Last year I ended as I had begun, with words on a Scrabble board but this year didn't have that kind of beginning. It's been gnawing at the back of my mind and I think I had pretty much decided to just close out the year with a photo from the kids annual year end photo session. But then yesterday I was able to sneak off for just a bit and low and behold without any previous planning or thinking on my part I got exactly the shot I was looking for.
So happy new year to you all. I hope you enjoy the slideshow. Oh, and any suggestions for 2012's 52 weeks are greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

s g said...

Well done girl! There were a couple that I don't think I've seen before.

I look forward to the next 52 weeks, whatever you decide.

Marty said...

Any thoughts and suggestions my creative friend?