To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day Thirteen~DPP

It has not been the greatest of days. I woke up to a blah gray day and it settled inside me. Like the weather, this mood never went anywhere, no strong wind to blow clouds away or cleansing rain.
Just. Ick.
But tonight the funniest thing happened that alleviated some of the heaviness. And it probably won't be nearly as funny to you as it, for some reason, was to me. Advent has five weeks. Which means five candles. Which means all five of our children have a week to light 'their' candle. Sam has been exceptionally happy to take his turn this week. He gets such an earnest look on his face when he uses the lighter, concentrating so hard to push up and pull back, making sure the flame catches and spreads to the wick.
I wanted to capture that look on his face so after we were done I asked Rob if we could do a staged version (gasp!). Sam of course was gung ho because it meant he would get to blow out the candle, relight the candle, and blow it out all over again.
So intent on his expression, I totally missed what he was wearing until the moment I clicked the shutter.

There is something hilariously funny to me about the grinch lighting an advent candle :-)

0 comments: