To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, December 5, 2011

Day Five~DPP

It's one of those days that is going so well that I keep checking to make sure I'm not forgetting something. Actually getting some holiday sewing done, house work is current, laundry is progressing and had a great long division lesson with Sam.
This seems too easy for a Monday. Maybe it's because the weekend was sooooo packed and rushed that anything after seems positively simple.
Of course it hasn't been without a few minor glitches.
We were without internet for a while this morning. Gasp! However do I survive without my morning routine check in's with facebook to see what everyone else has done, is doing or will do, checking the  bank, and making sure I haven't missed something fabulous on pinterest? I think the amount of housework accomplished so early in the day is directly related to not having access to that first thing. Apparently Rob is correct and when you keep your checkbook balanced you can know how much money is in the bank without having to look it up first and the internet came back online just in time for my sewing project.
I haven't sewn in months. Actually, not since my friend Lori was here and we broke the machine so that it would only sew in reverse. After getting fixed it's just been sitting in my closet so getting started this morning was a little bumpy.
First, I couldn't find the little part that holds your spool of thread in place. Forgive the lack of technical verbiage but you slip your spool onto the little bar and then slide this little doohickey on next so that your spool turns but can't fall off. I turned my closet upside down looking for it and finally gave up, realizing that I would probably have to buy another one. Surely, you can buy one right? I call JoAnn's and while I'm talking to the associate using all of my non-technical doohickey language I'm actually pointing to my machine as if somehow she could see what I am talking about when, surprise! The little doohickey thingie is on my machine just with the spool of thread put on after it.
I'm so ridiculous.
Second, I had a minor panic attack because I couldn't get the needle to actually move up and down when I pressed the peddle down. And, no Mr/Mrs smarty pants I had not forgotten to plug in the machine. I had just forgotten to move the the bobbin post thingamajig into a non-bobbing position.
Third, (and believe me at this point I was wondering if I should just head to the nearest store and by some stupid old Christmas stockings, burlap be hanged. (Ha! Get that...be hanged and it's Christmas stockings? I so amuse myself) I sill couldn't get the machine to actually sew and it seems there is a lever that you can move right and left that will apparently cause the machine to stitch on top or bottom or something because once I moved it under the picture that shows the stitch on top it started working.
Whew! I know, there are seamstresses the world over wondering why they sell sewing machines to just anybody that wants one. I'm sorry. Truly.
After all that hoopla I got going and the burlap stockings are turning out just adorable. Not perfect because, well...did you read all that up there? But I'm still happy with how they are turning out and I will happily share pictures when they're finished. Until then you can have a glimpse of the chaos I have created this morning although without seeing the floor that is littered with thread and burlap fuzz and remnants you cannot fully appreciate the scope of my success :-)

0 comments: