To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My Mother Bought Her Own Birthday Present

Only she didn't know it. See, she saw this crafty bird house thingie and really liked it so she ordered one but in an autumn version. What she got was this.


Hmmm, kind of garish and not want she wanted at all. I think it's the 1980's country blue paint. It would be better suited to a nice pinky mauve than the fall leaves. Because I am considered the crafty one in our family she asked me to fix it for her. Translation: Get rid of that blue paint!
Well, we went to the mountains and then I had a couple of jobs that had to be finished and somehow Thanksgiving is this week and autumn is almost gone. And knowing my Mother, she will be putting up Christmas decorations the day after turkey day.
Did I mention that yesterday was her birthday? It was. And I'm pretty sure that while the bird house for her porch wasn't completely forgotten it wasn't registering very high on the list of things on her mind either.
So I did this.

And then I went to Hobby Lobby where all their Christmas stuff is half price and I bought a few things and I made this.

She loves it. I'm glad because I feel a little bad about the fact that she essentially bought her own birthday present. I think I prefer to call it re-gifting with a twist.
As for being the crafty one in the family...Sister did some needle point pillow cases for Mother that are beautiful. I better step up my crafting game. Plastic pine cones and a fake red bird are only going to get me so far :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, and your Daddy likes it even more than your mother...

iarepilotswife@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
iarepilotswife said...

Also, I have no idea why I just typed my whole email in there.

If you can, can you change it or delete it or something?