To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, November 18, 2011

A List Of Random Thoughts That Have Been Stuck In My Head For A While Now

Chocolate Chex is a rip off. All the chexes* aren't chocolate and the ones that are don't really taste like chocolate. What a bummer. I really wanted some chocolate too. Why is there no chocolate in this house?! (Oh, yeah. It's because of those last twenty pounds I want to get rid of before my birthday in January.)
*Don't judge. How would you spell the plural of chex?

Confession: There are times when I'm helping Sam with his multiplication tables and I really wish I had a calculator handy. I'm sorry but at almost forty one my brain has gotten a little fuzzy on these facts. I'm pretty sure my third grade teacher, Mrs. Jordan, would be scandalized.

My dishwasher is driving me crazy. For some reason I keep finding the little tablet still in the bottom of the machine when the cycle is finished. Which means, to my way of thinking, that the dishes aren't really clean are they?

How come I can have just about all of the laundry finished but when everybody comes home and they change out of one school uniform it magically morphs into a ginormous mountain of clothing? I mean, I'm pretty sure they aren't wearing layers when they leave in the morning. It's only four girls...that's only four skirts and four shirts. But it's like the ugly step sister to the clown car. They change and they just keep bringing clothes to the laundry room.

Why do regular oreos cost the same as the double stuffed ones? That hardly seems fair. Or right. We should revolt, protest and...and occupy Northfield, Illinois until they fix this ridiculous travesty of a pricing structure. (Sidebar #1~notice I didn't suggest we boycott oreos. That would be taking things to the extreme don't you think? Like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.)  (Sidebar #2~I know it looks like I completely knew where oreos come from but in the interest of full disclosure I had to google it. Funny thing is, I apparently am not the first person to ask this question. It came up as soon as I typed part of it in the search bar.)

Last weekend I rented a wide angle lens to do some group photos. I knew I would also need it for tomorrow afternoon's photo party with Sarah's volleyball team. I wasn't sure if it would be cheaper to keep it a week or do a three day rental twice. I ended up keeping it thinking that I needed to make sure I could have it for extra day to cover tomorrow's event.  Imagine my horror today when I called and was told someone had it reserved for tomorrow. I was not a happy camper. How the heck do you shoot twelve to fifteen girls without a wide angle? I was seriously having a major mental fit over how I would handle it. Then, after a minute, I had a thought...whaaaat if?? Called back and yep, my name was on the lens reserved for tomorrow. Whew, that was close! A good wide angle is on my wish list. Along with about a dozen other photography related items.

One last thing:  a yummy recipe for you. Super yummy and perfect for all the upcoming holiday gatherings.


Generously cover the bottom of your serving dish with olive oil. Add chopped green onion (about four or five stalks) and diced roma tomatoes (I used three small to medium sized ones). Add one block of feta cheese crumbled into pieces. (I have recently discovered the goodness of feta cheese...it is a favorite now.) The original recipe called for adding Greek seasoning at this point but I couldn't find any so I used Italian instead.  Gently mix everything together until well blended and it's all nicely coated with the olive oil. Eat and enjoy with wedges of a sliced baguette.

Have a happy weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You get the "call back and check thing" from your mother...that snack will jump alive if you add some fine chopped black olives...
Ya Daddy

iarepilotswife said...

Seriously, the laundry thing baffles me.

Also, I DO keep a calculator handy when I'm helping Gabe with math.

And, finally, we have the same bowls.
Oh... And, YUM!

Jessie said...

ooooh, are you renting lenses locally? where from?! i wonder how they compare price-wise to the online ones? (excited about this new potential...!)

Marty said...

Pop, I can not handle olives at all but I bet if you do they would taste awesome.
Mel, we're kindred spirits :-)
Jessie, I rent this wide angle from Pensacola Photo...$50 for three days or one week for $80. They have a few other canon lenses but I can't remember which ones.

Anonymous said...

Ha! The lens being reserved to you totally cracked me up. I'm so glad you thought to check. I'm not an olive person either, but just a small bit WOULD be good!

Love ya girl.
~SG