To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, November 19, 2011

I've wanted to be a runner for as long as I can remember. It looks so freeing.  Now that I've finally dropped weight the equivalent of a toddler I think I just might get to go pursue that dream. But I missed out on my first opportunity this weekend. Two reasons...one, I have the worst pair of sneakers ever. Before I try to run anywhere I need to get a pair of really good running shoes. Which may mean an early Christmas present. And, second I'm afraid. Scared I won't be able to do it and/or that I will look ridiculous. After being at the finish line today I'm pretty sure I'm over the second thing. Everyone is just so encouraging. It was one of the coolest things I've seen. Although I can't help but feel like this is me...


A bunch of people from the school started  talking about taking part in Seville Quarter's Wild Turkey Trot and while I may have missed out, Sarah didn't. She joined a group of friends this morning and she absolutely loved it! Out of over a thousand participants runner #418 was the 348th person to cross the finish line. She ran the entire 5k (3.2 miles) and is pretty sure she'd do it again. 
IMG_0002
I've done a little checking and there is a 5k that benefits autism on December 3rd. If I can get that early Christmas present I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. Anybody want to join me?

5 comments:

iarepilotswife said...

I started running again too. I started really, really easy, and short distances at first so as not to hurt or discourage myself and I actually love it. I can't believe I love it, but I do. It's the weirdest thing.

I wear my barefoot shoes and it actually makes it more fun because I feel like a kid in barefeet again.

Also, I've run in crappy, cheap running shoes before and do not recommend it. It's how I fractured my foot a couple years ago. That was NOT fun.

AimeeLynne said...

I was running a lot last summer and blew my knee out. Make sure to wear good shoes and take it easy at first. I'd love to do the 5k with you guys, although, I'm sure I'll walk quite a bit.

Marty said...

Do it Aimee! I'll be walking a lot I'm sure!

Amanda said...

that almost made me pee! you are so hilarious. i did a 5K a few years ago, it was awesome! you should go for it!!

AimeeLynne said...

This makes me sad. I didn't know you responded to my comment and didn't think to check until I saw your past about it. If you do another one, please e-mail me and I'll be sure to jump on board.