To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, October 10, 2011

This Is What It Looks Like

I wanted to write something powerful and full of meaning about this part of the family session I did Saturday. But there is too much emotion for me in it for me. I can't find words to express a journey that I've watched for almost a year as this family celebrated the birth of their daughter and faced the grief a losing her a month later. This photo is technically not the best and there are some other really great ones of their family...but this one stopped me in my tracks. To me it is a tangible expression of the trust and faith Tyler and Cayce have in God. It is a testimony to His faithfulness to comfort in the face of a tragedy that every parent is afraid of having to face.
When they lost Liberty I kept thinking of this verse,
But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair (2 Corinthians 4:7-8 ESV)
I love this picture because I think it shows the truth of that verse.

You can go here and read a little more about about how they celebrated the life and love of Liberty.
For me, now I know what it looks like to face that kind of loss, to deal with that kind of grief and still trust God.
I am more thankful than I can express to have been a part of it.