To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, October 28, 2011

Bits and Pieces

There are several things bumping around in my head and I can't really tie them all together into a cohesive post so I have decided to just declutter my brain and put it all out there in no particular order. 

Being married to a pastor is great, wonderful, difficult, heartbreaking and I wouldn't wish Rob into another life calling/task for any reason. (Okay, to be honest there once was a really hard patch and I kind of hinted that maybe painting for a living again wouldn't be so bad. Thankfully he didn't listen to me and as they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :-) But I don't know if you've ever considered what it's like being married to a pastor. Imagine your night ending on a really difficult point and you just want to whine and have a pity party only when you climb into bed the man you're laying next to just preached a sermon that morning on life being hard and difficult and the right way to deal with it. Oh, yeah...you mentioned something about counting it all joy, didn't you love? 
I'm learning that hard does not necessarily equal bad. This was a hard week. One that made me seek silence and thanks to that Sunday sermon, one that made me a little more thoughtful of how I was handling things in front of others which is a good thing.
My brother-in-law's grandmother passed away. It was as good as circumstances could be for something of that nature. I've known Granny since I was about eleven years old. She's lived with my sister's family for about the last twenty years. Her home was always open to me and mine and you've never met a woman as committed to prayer as she was. As the family has looked back through her prayer journal it has given them much comfort and, at times, laughter to read her prayers. I think I need to start keeping a prayer journal so that years from now my children, grandchildren, other family members and friends can be reminded of  God's faithfulness.
On a lighter note, my son wants a tool kit for Christmas so that he can build a robotic brother. He said it without missing a beat so I can only imagine that he has engineered the whole thing in his head already. 
I'm kind of excited that this year my extended family has opted to do a homemade Christmas. We drew names as usual but this year you have to make your gift. We established some guidelines so that those who feel less crafty can assemble gift baskets and such. The idea though is to give something other than just a gift wrapped store bought item and instead give something that took some time and thought into creating. And, it can be food. (Thank you pinterest for some wonderful ideas!)
One of the other things I'm excited about this holiday season is Rob and I want to follow the Church calendar with our Christmas celebration. We would do advent and really concentrate on the anticipation of Christ's birth. We will wait to put up our tree until Christmas Eve and also continue the celebration through the twelve days of Christmas. I'm sure I'll be sharing more about this as we work through it.
As long as I'm mentioning holidays and ways to celebrate them I'm going to briefly bring up Halloween. We have been all over the map with regard to this day. The worst position on this topic in my opinion is one I held for a long time...the give it no thought it's just something we do once a year position. As a Christian we are to live our lives very deliberately and that includes the how and why of our activities. I believe as Christians we are also supposed to be gracious about the way some of our brothers and sisters may view this holiday...we may not agree on how each other views this particular day but I'm pretty sure no ones salvation hangs in the balance based on whether or not they dress up like Mario and ask their neighbor for a snickers bar. We've abstained and we've decked the kids out and gone door to door in the neighborhood. How you participate, or not, is a matter of conscience but I would urge you to think through it. Here is a pretty good article that gives one perspective on why it's not a big deal to take part on the 31st of October. Here is an excellent, and the first really valid argument in my opinion, on why you may not want to be a part of the activities. (Scroll to the post entitled Christmas vs. Halloween. It is worth the read.)
Totally unrelated, I am so behind on pictures, personal or otherwise. My 52 Weeks blog is almost a month behind and I am trying to figure out which is worse...playing catch up or walking away. I do have several really neat shoots coming up and I am contemplating offering a few mini sessions for holiday cards. The trick is pricing them to make it worth my time and effort so we'll see. 
I will be turning forty one in a few months. I am quite motivated to work off the last twenty pounds or so before then. I am using this online thing called My Fitness Pal that keeps track of your food, calorie intake and exercise. It's very easy to use, easily personalized and it's free! Plus there is a phone app which a friend of mine is using so that we can be buddies and keep each other accountable. 
On Wednesday Abby's class had Olympic Day which was a ton of fun. The kids had a great time and thanks to the hard work of teacher extraordinaire Mrs Phillips, amazing room mom Mrs Zepp and some awesome parent participation it was a fantastic event. I love Trinitas.
Let's see, what else? My brain feels a little less busy. And I can't think of much else worth sharing. Although, if you have read all the way to the end of this you feel like none of it was :-)
Have a good weekend, friends!



0 comments: