To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

All The Little Things

It was that moment when the van was packed and everyone was loaded in and we were backing out of the driveway.

It was listening to the kids giggle and settle in for a long drive.

Wondering for the upteenth time why Murder Creek in Brewton, Alabama is called Murder Creek. (Answered this one...seems back around the late 1700's a group of settlers headed to Pensacola were ambushed and killed by some wicked bandits.)

Cramming all seven of us into one hotel room with two double beds for the night.

The kids excitement seeing their cousins the next morning and fresh hot waffles.

It was watching the terrain change shape.

It was having three gps' give two different sets of directions and getting separated from our convoy.

Being caught in bumper to bumper traffic and taking two hours to drive eleven miles in the drizzling rain.

It was that moment when we finally burst out of the bottleneck of traffic and suddenly we were surrounded by granite walls with trees glowing in colors the likes of which I'd never seen.

It was catching a glimpse of a rainbow high overhead and turning a corner and it was vibrantly in front of us. Excitedly throwing my phone down, fumbling for the camera and the delight I felt when I managed to snatch a photo of it even though I was shooting through a dirty windshield.

It was smooshing our faces against the long window of the cabin and banging on the window so my Mother would know we had arrived.

It was waking up at two in the morning, laughing and joking with my husband and older sister and having my sixteen year old chastise us because she needs her sleep.

It was Dad and Mother, all four of us girls and our husbands, twelve grandbabies and two greatgrandchildren.

It was looking through the crowd of people, the running children, pounds of food and seeing the one that my soul is knit to.

The look of wonder and amazement and the pure enjoyment of the kids during the Dixie Stampede dinner show.

It was the cascade of color and sweeping fields in Cade's Cove. It was realizing that as much as I love the beach there was something about the mountains that found in echoing answer in my soul.

Taking a walk up the mountain with my Mother and walking down the mountain with my first niece.

It was the excitement Abby felt as she went on a bear hunt with her Uncle Chuck.

Holding my second niece's sweet little boy while he had his morning cup of milk.

It was gathering each family together for pictures.

It was knowing that later I would probably regret leaving two hours later than planned to head home but not caring because I was having coffee and muffins with my Mother and sisters.

It was drawing names and planning Christmas.

It was my parents holding hands and waving as we all drove off.

It was the quiet that comes when the sun goes down and tummy's are full after dinner from a drive thru.

It was walking into my own house and slipping into my own bed.

It was wonderful.

1 comments:

Lori Warman said...

I'm crying, I wish this for my family. I'm so happy for you at the same time that you all shared such wonderful memories.