To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Mini Me That Looks Like Him

My second born is eleven and running full out into the no man's land of the tween years...too young for this and that and too old to really enjoy the things that were a blast a few months back. I mentioned in a post about a month ago about the sudden interest in her hair and clothing choices. That's life with a girl entering into womanhood and I'll be honest this is one of my favorite stages of raising girls. There is so much new opening up to them but they're still little enough that the self awareness hasn't hit that fever pitch that comes in a few years. Emily has always been the most like Rob in personality but lately it's like having an out of body experience combined with a flashback watching her. She'll cry easily and have no idea why. Savvy women reading this are nodding their heads because they know what is causing all the emotion...my beloved however reads this and will groan and say something like, "Really?!" My parents will burst into satisfied I-told-you-one-day-you'd-have-a-girl-just-like-you laughter when I acknowledge that she has developed a foot stopping walk that rivals any teen age girly gait I produced. And the storm clouds that gather when her brow is furrowed makes me want to laugh at myself and the foolish girl I was once. So she may look like him on the outside...but inside she is a lot more like her Momma. I hope we're ready for this.

When we first found this picture of Rob Emily's bangs were growing out and they laid across her forehead just like his are in the picture. It was really kind of freaky how much they look alike. Do you see the resemblance?

3 comments:

Daddy said...

Poor thing is going to be ugly when she closes in on fifty.

Marty said...

You are so mean! Besides, she does have my genes too so unless you think I'm closing in on ugly then there is hope for her :-)

Vicki's family said...

Even is this beautiful little girl does look like her daddy in that picture, she can always out grow that look and look just like her mommmy....