To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lagniappe & Grilled Cheese

Lagniappe, pronounced lan-yap, is a Louisiana French word that basically means 'a little extra' or 'something given by way of good measure'. It's the thirteenth doughnut from the baker...a little extra something something tossed in by a seller to show a little love to a customer.
In my case it comes in the form of a delicious upgraded grilled cheese for family and friends that says, "Hey, I may be serving you a sandwich but it ain't your typical grilled cheese, yo." (Actually, I probably wouldn't say "yo" at the end because, well...I'm a forty year old white woman and it just wouldn't sound right. And hopefully I wouldn't say "ain't" either because my husband is chief of the grammar police and we all know that ain't ain't a word.)
But I would serve you a ridiculously yummy grilled cheese. One made with thick slices of sour dough bread...


and I would add some sliced avocados...

and fry up some bacon...

and pile it on provolone cheese (or if you want a little extra pep pepper jack cheese)...

and fry to perfection.
(really really sorry for the blurry picture...not sure what happened)
These things have become a staple in our house the last few weeks. Which makes it nice when I need a no brainer we had a volleyball game until 7:30 quick dinner. That little extra bit of goodness added to a plain old grilled cheese...the lagniappe...keeps it simple but a little nicer than normal. Why I've never thought outside of the box more than switching up the type of cheese I use is beyond me but thank you pinterest for showing me a better way. Not wild about avocados? Don't worry...it turns out there are a gazillion different ways to jazz up a grilled cheese sandwich.  I want to try some cheddar cheese with thinly sliced apples or some smoked gouda and sauteed onions.
Have you ever jazzed up a grilled cheese?  Do share because my favorite season is upon us and soup and sandwiches are at the top of the menu.

0 comments: