To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, September 16, 2011

I've Had My Fill

It started last night really. Abby, who will celebrate her ninth birthday tomorrow, wanted to make homemade chocolate chip cookies to share with her class today. I skimmed the recipe and she, Emily and Claire got to work. They were having so much fun and sounded so sweet that I decided to do what any modern mom of today would do...I left the kitchen to put up a facebook status about how sweet and precious my girls were baking cookies. Which means I wasn't in the kitchen to catch the mistake in the recipe that read add two cups of milk instead of correctly stating to add two cups of milk chocolate chips.
Can you guess what happened?
We managed to salvage the mix by adding flour (a lot of flour) and making a cookie cake of sorts. Abby seemed pleased and was quite happy to take her creation to school and share with friends so all well that ends well I guess.
After dropping the girls off at school I decided to take advantage of the cheaper gas prices at a station closer to the school. Because the prices are usually a few cents cheaper and being the time of morning that it was meant that it was pretty busy. As in lots of people were around. As in lots of people were around to watch me pull up to the pump, shut the van off, dig out my debit card...actually use my debit card...and realize I had pulled up on the wrong side.
Sigh.
Then I got home only to realize that I had forgotten the napkins and plates for Abby's birthday snack. No worries though because my sweet mother-in-law was happy to take some to the school when she went to have lunch with Abby. Lunch that I said started at 11:30. When, in actuality, lunch starts at eleven.
Later, I kind of had a bit of a panic moment because I couldn't engage my parking break. It took me a minute to realize that I was releasing  it instead of actually locking it into place.
On the bright side, Sam and I wandered around a nifty little antique store where I found a fabulous old jar for only three dollars. The dark side is that when I went to check the mail this afternoon when I got home I dropped the bag and broke my old and lovely little jar into about eleventy billion pieces.
I realize that in the grand scheme of things these annoyances are unimportant to say the least. I believe the popular way of putting it is something about first world problems. I get that really I do.
But may I just say that I've met and exceeded my quota for stupid today?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! one word, two syllables.

do-do.

You can let the o's make any sound you'd like. They all work. :)

But, you ARE pretty.

Better day today?
~SG