To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, September 1, 2011

I'm Ready

I'm Ready
It happens about this time every year. We have a more or two days when the temps stay in the seventies until around nine in the morning instead of the usual mid-nineties by seven a.m. Or there is a cool breeze in the evenings and suddenly I am longing for the smells and colors of autumn. I want to wrap myself in layers and walk outside into crisp air. I want pots of soups or stews or chili simmering on my stove through out the day flooding the house with their comforting aroma. I want to feast my eyes on the earthy shades of red, orange and green.
I have to keep the longing in check for this, my favorite season. We've weeks left to go with our summer sun and hot days. This is still the time for bar-b-ques, pool parties and trips to the beach. So every now and then I might let my mind wander to what's coming but I may do it sitting on the diving board with my toes in the water.


1 comments:

Paula said...

I know exactly what you mean...it's amazing how cool 75 feels anymore and how it leaves you longing for soup & sweaters. Kind of cruel, really.