To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, September 12, 2011

Colors of Silence

I'm supposed to be doing a color a week over at 52 Weeks and to be honest I'm kind of bored with it. Mainly because I'm finding it more difficult to isolate one particular color each week without feeling like all the pictures are looking the same. An oh, look it's another flower kind of rut that I want to avoid. But while I may be a week behind because I'm lacking a wee bit of creative juice doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about color and I've learned something about myself.  I've come to realize that I tend to feel in colors. Lately I've been thinking about the colors of silence. It started last Sunday when the kids and I went to get in the van for church and it wouldn't start. It was an unusual shade of soft gray, but not the dark and ominous gray silence that feels up a room when there is anger brewing. It was more like that gentle gray that intertwines and mixes with the soft light of a new morning.
Of course silence has many other colors.
There is the did-I-just-say-that-out-loud-om-goodness-I-did-say-it-out-loud blush red color of silence.
Then we have the awkward I don't know what to say purple.
The joyous everything is wonderful daffodil yellow silence.
The peaceful and serene quiet blue or the sharp and crisp green when your mouth is silent but wisdom and understanding are growing colors of silence.
What is good to remember is all colors are created from some combination of other colors. So we can add a few shades of laughter and that embarrassing red turns into an everything is fine happy pink. Swirl in liberal splashes of forgiveness and mercy and that ominous gray becomes something more like that impossible blue we see sometimes after a summer thunderstorm.
Our world frantically shouts to cover up real silence...with music, fashion, hobbies, food. Even church and religion are used to keep the overwhelming silence of His being muffled so it's less convicting, less confrontational to our own wants and desires. But we need the silence. We need the kind of silence that makes us stop thinking of ourselves and what we do and shuts out the noise of everything but who we are in Him. That silence, that "in Him we live, move and have our being" silence...
It's a shimmering fluid silver.
It's beautiful and I hope you have times of that kind of silence in your life.