To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Yesterday

So yesterday was the second first day of school. See Friday was only a three hour orientation day that, while a lot of fun, isn't really a school day school day. Which is good because Abby and Claire decided that coming down with strep throat and missing the first first day of school was a good idea. Okay, they didn't exactly think it was a good idea and they were sad to miss the excitement and fun of that particular school day but it's the way it all went down.
So today was our first day of school. And I took pictures. But only at home because Sarah rolled her eyes and basically begged me not to take it with us and I complied because I am sure there will be other times when I'm not so willing to accommodate her and maybe, just maybe I was wondering if I'd cry and then not be able to see through the lens anyway. Plus I really wanted both hands free for that last sweet hug before I let my baby go. (I know I sound all dramatic but it's mostly just a big old bowl of hyperbole (mostly) because a.) it sounds more fun dramatic then just "Oh, yeah, my baby went off to school today" and b.) it makes for a much more interesting read.)
Of course the pictures make it even better. I mean just look at those cute little freckles.

She played with bears and had snack and made new friends. It was a good day.
Here's one of all four girls all ready to go. They look big don't they?
Overall, the general consensus is teachers are great...friends are great and everything is overall wonderful. Well, Sarah is a wee bit concerned about Greek and Rhetoric but who wouldn't be right?
On the home front Sam and I had a good productive day. This time with him is something I'm really looking forward to and we have some neat things planned. He's just a really interesting kid and I'm excited about homeschooling him while being able to concentrate specifically on doing things in a way that best suits him.
To be honest, lately Rob and I have been concerned because Sam hasn't been himself. We've kind of chalked it up to the move taking it's toll on him but he's never responded this way before. And we were seeing behaviors out of him that we haven't seen in literally a year or two as well as some sleep disruption. I was telling this to a friend who has another friend with a child on the spectrum and she mentioned that child has issues with chlorine. Guess what you put into a swimming pool on a regular basis? Guess who's been getting in our pool on a regular basis? Coincidence? Maybe, but it's definitely something we're checking into. Thankfully the way to deal with it is simple and does not include being banished from the pool.
Autism is never dull people.
And for the record I didn't cry. Okay, fine. I may have teared up a bit on the way home but there was no sobbing or anything.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have beautiful girls!!!

Laurie B