To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, August 19, 2011

Checking In

It's official.
Boys are dirtier than girls.
Sam's walls were a gazillion times dirtier than the girls' walls. And he is all alone in his room. And his walls were dirty in places that made no sense. Like near the ceiling. Okay, that makes a little sense because he has a bunk bed but above his closet door near the ceiling? And behind things that I had to have help moving away from the wall? I don't even want to know. At least I'm pretty sure that I don't want to know.
Just in case you're new to this blog or somehow missed the news we've moved so this is the kind of cleaning that only happens when you're moving. I don't wantcha thinking I don't keep house or anything. Except that I really beginning to think maybe I should just move everything to the middle of the room every six months and pretend we're moving because dang, we're dusty, people.
Maybe you already do that though.
Maybe everybody does that.
Maybe I'm the only one that doesn't.
There's something that will make you question your own reality.
So, here's an update on our family. We're officially in the new house and loving it. There's a little left to do here at the old house like cleaning the carpets and taking care of the garage. Rob does the garage (picture me doing a happy dance) and he also will do the yard sale on the last Saturday of the month. (I don't do yard sales. I'm the only person in the universe that held a yard sale that no one, not one single person, stopped at. Two weeks later I cleaned out my car and had three people stop to ask if it were a yard sale. I swore off doing them at that point.) Rob also does the carpet cleaning.
I love my man. He's amazing.
All this moving has reminded me how much I hate stuff and clutter. I thought we were pretty minimal in our stuff department but good gracious every time I turned around there was something else to pack or get rid of. I was almost in tears at one point and told Rob that living in the woods stark naked and eating berries for the rest of lives had a certain amount of appeal. He reminded me that we'd get cold and that everything would work out and be fine. He was right.
Have I mention how much I love that man?
The girls will have their first day of school next Friday. It's orientation and only half a day which is about all this Momma's heart can handle with Claire Bear starting school. We were a little undecided about whether she should start in K4 or K5 and with some wise counsel from the powers that be at the school it's been determined that she'll go into the k4 class.  Her and one other little girl and six boys. God bless Mrs. Peacher.
Sarah's volleyball season has kicked into gear. Lots of home games this year which is nice. The schedule always gets a little hectic but she's loves playing and keeps her grades up.
Em is going into the sixth grade. I'm not really ready for that. Abby is so very excited to be going into Mrs. Phillips third grade class. Good stuff is in store for them all. Including Sam. His schooling will be a little different and a lot more tailored to fit his learning style.  I'm excited about that.
I've got several different blog post series in my head that I hope to make a reality soon. I'm excited about some photography related things too.
A neat family vacation planned in October with my entire family. Mom & Dad, sisters and husbands and children and their spouses and kids. Twenty six of us getting together in the Smokey Mountains. Sounds crazy doesn't it?
Random things:
I miss having regular internet access and will be quite happy to have service at the new house on Monday hopefully.
I really like country music right now...Darius Rucker and Billy Carrington to be exact. Have I mentioned this is killing my husband's soul? He can't stand it. So the other day I had to move his van for him...tuned in to one of my favorite country stations instead of his normal talk radio ;-)
I was a little giddy at the grocery store yesterday for the simple fact of shopping like a normal person who is living fully in just one house.
I'm really excited to get back to a regular routine that includes the gym. I miss how good I feel when I'm exercising regularly and consistently.
I'm also ready for Fringe to be back on and cooler weather.
Until it cools off though, we're enjoying the pool.










Rob and I have been making it a habit lately to enjoy our morning coffee out by the pool. With all the flowers it's quite a pretty way to start the day.
Life is sweet.