To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Quit Yer Whining!

It.
Is.
Hot.
The air conditioner in the house went out yesterday so I feel at this moment that I can make that statement with a fair amount of authority. So take that Kevin Bacon. I'll see your measly six degrees and raise you eighty-one. (For those of you who might be a little slow in the math department that makes it 87 sticky hot degrees inside my house.)
The good news is that it should be fixed either today or tomorrow. The really good news is that we rent so we don't have to pay for it. I know home ownership is touted as the be all and end all of the American dream but honestly in moments like this I am so happy my wonderful husband has had us wait to make that gigantic commitment.
Because the a/c broke last night sleep was fitful to say the least. So this morning I was a tad cranky and like any red blooded female I promptly went to facebook with my tale of woe. I received a fair amount of sympathy but also a few stories of times when this had befallen others and basic ways to cope. And you know what I realized? We'll live through it. We'll be hot and sweaty but it won't kill us. We still have a roof over our heads with these nifty ceiling fans attached on the inside of them and food to eat.
We could whine and gripe but the truth is cool air blowing through out your house is a luxury that many people don't have. It really isn't a need, even here in humid old Florida. With a blinding hot flash of clarity I realized several things.
First, we are super spoiled. We should be grateful for such an extravagant comfort. We certainly aren't any more deserving of cool air than anyone else. There's a big lesson on the whole entitlement mentality.
Second, I have a major opportunity to display for my sweet brood that in all things we give thanks. God is good whether you have a/c or not and being hot is no excuse for cruddy, ill tempered behavior.
Third, I really need to catch up on my 52 weeks project. And a nice cold glass of water seemed apropos.

0 comments: