To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Kids Are So Not Cool

And it's all my fault. Somewhere I've done something horribly wrong. Or maybe the real problem is that I haven't done something. Yeah, I'm thinking that's it. I have neglected to teach them a.) what cool things some things really are and b.) the proper response when some of those really cool things are found at a yard sale for only three stinkin' dollars.
This is a situation that needs immediate attention so here is lesson one.
When your mother is positively giddy because she and your father found and bought a well kept Polaroid you do not stare at her blankly and say,
"What's a Polaroid?"
And when your mother looks at you, the supposedly more hip and cooler older sibling, to confirm the awesomeness of the yard sale find you do not get that* look on your face and say,
"Isn't that the camera that gives you the picture right away? Haven't we moved past that?"


How have I raised these children? It's sad really. But there's hope right? I still have time to teach them the wonderfulness of polaroids and yard sale scores and such. I think my work is cut out for me though.

*I can't really describe that look. It's not rude of disrespectful or anything. It's just that look. It's something that one has to see and experience to fully understand but if you have a teenage daughter then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Well, I guess my mother trained me properly because I'm VERY excited for you. :)

Anonymous said...

I know the look...used to see it on my "skinny-kid's" face all the time...

Nonners said...

Thats so cool....for three dollars?? Holy cow! Mom has four antique cameras that she decorates her room with. They're awesome :]