To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, July 16, 2011

How to Celebrate Your Sixteenth Birthday

Get two of your very best friends...

 Go to a place on the beach...
Get on a boat...
Strap yourselves into a harness...
Take the harness and clip it to a parachute...

Briefly wonder what in the world you're doing as you get pulled backwards off a moving boat over open water...
Here it comes...



Hang around in the air for a little while...
Get dunked in the water a few times...


Drip dry on your way back in...
Get pulled back onto the boat and decide to make crazy faces for a picture because you survived...
Yell at your friend when she doesn't make a crazy face...
Immediately begin planning bungee jumping for your seventeenth birthday.

(Honest to goodness on the way out the local radio station was playing a song called "Another Way to Die" and on the way back in it was playing "Alive")

3 comments:

Nonners said...

The whole song bit made me laugh so hard...that looked like so much fun!!! I'm so doing that for my 19th :]

Anonymous said...

I loved every moment of it--so proud of
my Sarah for making her dream come true and invite her ole Nana to go along and watch--so sweet--I do

think that chld loves me almost as much as I love her :)

sweet dreams---Nana




as i love her----had a geat time---love, nana

Marty said...

Wait a second! Did my Mother just comment on my blog??? That is a first time ever and it only took placing my child in mortal danger to make it happen :-)