To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, June 3, 2011

Sweetness

I'm feeling a little spoiled lately.
My visit with Lori was so fun and just good.
Then there have been the sweet compliments from you all on our family pictures (Christine, yours really blessed me) and the encouragement with the diet and weight loss.
Then there's Rob. That man has a way of always making me feel beautiful and loved.
My kids. Watching them respond to the hard beauty of discipline during this beginning of our summer of truth, beauty and goodness strengthens my heart and levels the path we're walking.
This morning I came home from the gym and Abby and Claire had made me cards...
"Dear Mom, we hope you like your life water and apple. We did this because we love you. Hope you enjoy this!"
Not only had they laid out my water and fruit for me to enjoy but Abby had also gone outside and cut some greenery and put it in a vase. Claire had carefully chosen some of her favorite rocks from her collection to add to my place setting as well.
Yesterday, a friend came to visit for lunch and stayed for dinner, too.
Earlier this week I received a sweet little envelope in the mail all the way from New York. I've mentioned Roni several times here on the blog...her beautiful autumn images, the inspiration behind my reverse lens macro method. Lately she's been posting some stunning bird pictures. And by stunning, I mean gorgeous. One caught my eye that really showed her sense of humor and I commented how fun it would be as a card to share with someone who might be having a moment. Guess what was in that envelope from New York?

Sweetness
See why I'm feeling a wee bit spoiled? Some people might be tempted to say or think "You deserve this!" We have a tendency to think in these terms and because we love someone we think they should be happy and feel a little spoiled and loved.
But I don't deserve it. I'm humbled by the goodness and mercy that He showers on me everyday and the people He uses to do so.
So, thank you.

2 comments:

Roni said...

Oh Marty...:) You know...I think you are so blessed because you ARE such a blessing to others. I have been so busy the past couple days I hadn't even made it over here but I'm so glad I checked tonight. I feel like I just got a great big giant old hug. I'm glad to be a part of all the nice things that happened to you last week, and I am really thankful for your constant reminder of what being a "woman after God's own heart" really means.

Much love to you. xoxoxox I hope you'll use that card to make someone truly smile.:)

iarepilotswife said...

Your Abby and Claire are some of the sweetest little things. I just love your kids.

And, hey, you have spoiled us something awful too. what goes around comes around, ya know.