To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, June 2, 2011

An Early Before and After

I've been pretty frank about this whole diet thing I've been on since the end of January. Believe me, it wasn't my choice. I tried to do it on the down low...you know, start the program and just smile and nod when people would ask 'Hey, are you losing weight?' But God had other plans. A friend pointed out that being fat overweight isn't something we do privately. It's there for everyone to see. So, I decided that losing weight would be all out in front of everyone too.
That kind of honesty is good for me. I think it's been good for others in that it has encouraged them to face their own weight issues. I wish I was this way about all of my sin. (Yes, I'm drawing a straight line from my obesity to lack of self control, looking and drawing comfort and satisfaction from something other than Christ, and living too much in the present and instant gratification instead of eternally, the list is endless really. Draw your own line wherever you need to...laziness, gluttony, etc.)
I feel good. I have more energy. All the usual things that you hear everyone say when they've lost weight that equals the size of a small person. I've less than twenty pounds to go before I hit my goal weight. I've lost over fifty pounds. I officially weigh less now than I did when I married Rob twelve years ago. How cool is that?
My friend Lori started the diet a few weeks after me. She hit her goal weight last week and looks wonderful. You can go here and see her before and after picture. We did our weekly weigh in together this week and even though I still have a little more to go we did my before and after as well.



Ouch! Look at that Miss Piggy face of mine! It's so stark seeing yourself side by side like that. I am tempted to delete them and never let them see the light of day because they are embarrassing. But that's what I looked like...that's who I was.
I'm a little stuck on how to wrap this up and end the post so I'm just going to take one more look and go to the gym :-)

3 comments:

Roni said...

Way to go Marty!:)

Lori Warman said...

This is so funny, I think you are so beautiful and you are so encouraging to me. You never held yourself down low like I did. You always held your head high and never thought less of yourself. You always remembered who you were and never called your weight your identity. I have learned so much from you. Thank You.

Traci said...

I am so proud of you girls! You look awesome too! Feeling very inspired by you fit & healthy ladies!