To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bits and Pieces and a Milestone

So, I'm settling back into a normal gym routine now that we're home from Atlanta. And you know what that means?
Television.
My pop culture education is back on. Here are a few highlights from the past week.

Potatoes have now been established as the leading cause of obesity in adults. But to give the poor potato it's due it is a rather versatile food. They can be fried, boiled, baked and twice baked (a personal favorite in our house), chopped, diced or cubed, smashed or mashed. Although I'm a little unclear on the exact difference of those last two.

A recent study shows that minority births now account for the majority of all births. Can something be both a minority and a majority? And would it be a major minority or a minor majority?

Curvy is the new politically correct word for fat.

Country and rap are two genres of music that should never share a platform. Ever. I'm sure it's a code of the wild wild west that cowboys croon and not rap.

(This is probably a good place to mention that the views expressed on this blog are solely mine and not necessarily a fully accurate representation of the Hadding household. Rob doesn't think that country music should even have a platform.)

Keeping Up With the Kardashians
Two questions. Who would want to? And why?

I'd like to meet Justin Bieber. Actually, I would really really love to meet Justin Bieber. Just so I could Brush. His. Hair. Back. Away. From. His. Face. I am not kidding when I say that I am utterly weary of seeing boys walk around like they have a perpetual windstorm at their backs.

The man who has been doing Oprah's makeup for the past twenty years wears more makeup than most women I know. Do what you will with that information.

As for the milestone portion of our show...


Sarah took (and passed) her driver's permit test today. Obviously she won't be getting her license in a few weeks when she turns sixteen but she is now legally allowed on the roads behind the wheel of a vehicle.

We're pretty nervous excited.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Sarah! Driving can be such fun. Marty - love your installment of Entertainment Tonight. LOL

~sg

Taylor J. said...

Congratulation, Sarah! That's pretty awesome! I had forgotten that you were able to get it. Wesley will be getting his permit soon, too.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sarah... I am so proud of you... Love you bunches,
Aunt Vicki

Paula said...

It's way too soon for my little kidlet to be driving. After all, she was just three years old yesterday. I love you, Sarah, and I am very proud of you.

Marty said...

Well, Grammie at least now when you let her drive in the back yard it'll be legal :-)

lovely loser said...

you know what this means? road trip to birmingham! ;) haha

Nonners said...

Whooo, Hoooo!! Yay Sarah!

Roni said...

Oh just you wait girl. Did you see my post earlier this week? I'm SO not ready.:)

And you still crack me up. I adore your sense of humor!