To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Where I Live

If you had told me twenty years ago that I would not only live in a small town but enjoy it I more than likely would have scoffed to say the least. When I was a teenager I couldn't wait to get away from Pensacola...I thought there were bigger and better things to see, people to meet and places to go. I never really went anywhere though and with the maturity that age brings I'm thankful I never got to wander too far from home. I get tickled since our move to Milton a few years ago because my Mother acts like we've moved to a different time zone instead of just into another county. It's probably quicker for  me to get to my parents' house now that I'm 'across the water' than when I lived across town from them.

But I do love where we live. I'm close enough to Pensacola to get my fix of city life (read visit Barnes & Noble and World Market) and far enough away to be outside of the city and all its traffic. 
Recently I started stopping in at a local farmer's market in Pace. Floridatown Station is an indoor flea market with all kinds of lovely antigue-y sorts of items. Sarah and I like to go there and wander through the stalls and check out all the wonderfulness. I even got my niece the cutest little gift for Christmas from them and I bet she'll love it when I finally remember to give it to her! (Mind you I bought it this past Christmas...see what happens when you buy ahead? You go and forget you have it...or lose it like that green whoopi cushion I bought for Sam and hid so he wouldn't find it only I can't remember where I hid it so I can't find it either. But let's not talk about that :-) 
Anyway, back to Floridatown. The kids and I have gone into the farmer's market a few times now and they love it. And last week the manager let me roam around and take pictures to my heart's content. It is a photographer's playground.
They were selling the most beautiful flowers out front.
 



 The colors were just gorgeous and shouted that spring had arrived.  There were flats of herbs and tomatoes as well. Makes me wish I actually had a green thumb.








On the side porch area there were stacks of baskets in all shapes and sizes, plus some pretty pottery.
 

 There was also this lovely stack of some kind of boxes that I couldn't resist snapping a picture of.
They've decorated the inside of the market with all kinds of interesting things. Teapots and unique salt & pepper shakers line shelves. 
Old timey measuring balances hold yummy goodness along with a pretty wooden tea cart that housed sweet homemade jams and jellies.
 
They even have a decent selection of gluten free items.
The produce looked good and having eaten some of it I can attest to it's deliciousness. Those brussell sprouts Rob loves so much? I bought them here.
  




All local produce is marked and clearly tells you where it's from. Pretty cool for those of us who want to make the process of buying our food a closer to home experience.
Besides all the fresh produce they also have jars upon jars of wonderful things. Jams, jellies, pie fillings, canned veggies...it was all there. I loved taking the pictures and I bought some of this Amish Wedding jam...oh, my goodness is it good! But that is another blog post :-)

 They also have this wall of sweet treats...three for a dollar I think. Guess where the kids go first?
I've got to go back and get this...I have no idea where I'd hang it up it sure tickled my funny bone :-)
So, if you ever find yourself in Pace you should stop on in at the farmer's market...I bet you'll enjoy it.

0 comments: