To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Random Emotionalism

I was talking with a sweet friend about our emotions and the sometimes difficult task of keeping them in control and not in the driver's seat of our lives. We are a feeling people and that's good because God made us that way. But as with all God's gifts we must exercise self control so that we are able to enjoy them to their fullest. Besides, our emotions can change on a dime and we feel a hundred different things through out our day.
Allow me to share just a few of the emotions that I have felt this morning...keeping in mind that as I type this it is only 9:20 am.
Suspicion: A study was released several years ago that said the bathroom stall closest to the entrance of a public bathroom is the cleanest one. This morning as I made my way into the restroom at Walmart I was quite happy to see the first stall available. But my normal mental fist pumping 'yes!' was tempered this day by thoughts of conspiracy. What if 'they' just made that up? What if their dastardly plan is to tell all of us those first stalls are the cleanest so that they can keep the real clean toilets in the back all to themselves?
Something to think about, isn't it?
Frustration: I really don't care if Beyonce has gotten herself some newly enhanced female attributes. Nor am I really dying to know if William and Kate have postponed their honeymoon because a baby is on the way. Or whether or not Angie is cheating on Brad with a girl. Or why the bachelor and his chosen sweetheart are breaking up. But I now have all this ridiculous and worthless knowledge inside my head thanks to a very slow checkout girl and the tabloid covers that surround the register.
Cynicism: Related to the above. Not even kidding...the magazine has a picture of some sort of military aircraft carrier in the middle of some ocean. A big yellow arrow points to a spot with the words "Osama's body dumped here!"
Sadness: All the pretty flowers that didn't sale over Mother's Day weekend are beginning to fade and wither.
Anticipation: This was a completely spontaneous response to finding a jar of butterscotch caramel sauce and considering how it will taste in carmelitas this weekend.
Thankfulness: For wonderful friends. The know-your-garage-door-code kind of friends that bring a lot of noise and laughter to your home.
Amazement wrapped in shades of stupidity: This delightful emo combo is what you feel upon realizing that the decorative pattern on the very back seat of your van is actually not just there for looks. Rather it is handy little hook/loop thingies that will hold the handle of your grocery bags so that groceries don't go rolling all under the seats. You will also feel this when, after owning and using your Keurig for several months, someone comes along and shows you that the part that holds the water actually detaches from the machine for ease in filling. You know...so you don't have to fill bottles of water and spill it all over the counter whilst pouring it into the coffee maker.
Excitement: The friends that made me feel thankful? I get to take their lovely family's pictures this weekend!
Amused confusion: This is the type of amusement I felt as I listened to my son eagerly ask for the opportunity to clean up the poop from our visiting friend's dog. Go figure.
Love: My wonderful husband. (Imagine a contented happy sigh and a smile here.)
Exhaustion: Wiped out by the multitude of emotions already felt this day. (Not really but I couldn't think of a witty way to end this post :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About that butterscotch caramel this weekend........

Love,

Guess Who???

Nonners said...

:] totally get the frustration one. Today mom, myself and the little ones all went out on a sort of town day. Well, after Walmart we contemplated as to whether or not we should ever go out in public again. Those magazines are bad. But then you have the "people" who walk by...the movie covers... advertisements for various different things...I will say, however, that my back yard looks pretty nice right now. :]