To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, May 20, 2011

The History of Pop Tarts and the F-Word

There are some things from your childhood that just stick with you. A certain way of doing things...preparing a certain food...or saying something a particular way. It has been an endless source of amusement to friends and family alike  that growing up in my home we were not allowed to say the f-word. 
Of course the f-word was f*rt and I still have an involuntary gasp reaction when someone says it in front of me.  Although Rob has no issue with it he does have the children respect my delicate sensibilities and they are only allowed to use it with him. Or in that moment that they gang up on me for entertainment purposes only. 
This morning Claire enjoyed the treat of a certain breakfast confection that is a rare guest in our home. 
Pop Tarts.
Which she promptly called Pop farts. (Do you see that? I actually spelled it out for you. My Mother is probably going to be calling me soon because everyone knows that momma radars never stop working and she has picked up on the fact that I typed out the f-word.)
Sam, my sweet boy that loves me, immediately began to urge Claire to "Change the subject! Change the subject!"
Oh, they make me laugh.
So, here's some interesting trivia about pop tarts. The were originally created by Post and called Country Squares. They were released in September of 1963 and were supposedly not to be placed anywhere near the cereal aisle but rather with the baked goods. For a variety of reasons the Post product didn't get much love from the public and it's arch rival, Kellogg's, stole the market out from under them with their version. And just so your pop tart education is complete, enjoy one of my favorite Brian Regan clips...
 

2 comments:

Roni said...

That was funny, Marty.:) I've missed your blog and sorry I've been struggling to keep up with commenting lately. I had to laugh over the "f-word". Living in a house full of boys, it's impossible to escape.:)

JG said...

You still make me laugh at your out and out gasping at the f word. I just don't know how after all these years of knowing you that you can't say the f word but my oh my titty baby just rolls out of your mouth! You make me smile!