To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Further Observations From the Gym

First, upon further study I have come to recognize that the tile remodel in the restroom of the gym is not so cheap looking. It's the cheap paint job. While I may not know much about laying tile, I am a little bit more knowledgeable about painting. My wonderful husband supported our young and growing family for many years by painting and I picked up quite a bit during that time. Like the fact that I really shouldn't paint walls ever. The walls in the bathroom look like I painted them.
The tile really is pretty though.
Second, Tuesday night must be bald tattooed mens club night. Seriously, lots of bald tattooed fellas egging each other on to see who could lift the most weight. They weren't overly loud or obnoxious or anything but you could tell from all the elbow poking, back slapping and occasional smirking that it was very much a one uppping contest taking place. It looks very different when women do this kind of challenge with each other. Miss so-and-so brings a double decker chocolate cake to the church super and Miss such-and-such will make a triple layered extra fudge cake the next time. I think there is much more communal benefit to the way we women do it, don't you?
Third, thank you Dancing With the Stars for keeping my horrified fascination on you rather than how long I was on the evil elliptical. I actually went over 3000 strides because I just couldn't look away. I didn't really know a body could bend that way and not break. And, exactly how little can a woman wear and still be considered dressed? Because I'm not sure what some of you were wearing really qualifies as clothing. I'm not going to say anything about Kirstie and her leggings...okay, I can't not say anything about Kirstie and her leggings. It's wrong. Leggings are not attractive when worn as actual clothing and not under something. On anyone. Even skinny people. That's all I'm not going to say about her clothing. I was impressed when I first heard that someone who has so publically struggled with weight issues would attempt to do that kind of show. But that paled in comparison last night to the fact that the woman is sixty years old!! Why does that seem so surprising to me? Maybe because she did a cartwheel on national television in a pair of leggings. One more thing Kirstie...whether or not we liked you or the ditzy and flaky characters you've always played, we've all suffered from moments of serious hair envy because of that gorgeous mane you've always worn. So what's up with that stringy mess last night? Keep the leggings if you must but please, brush your hair.
Fourth, there is no shame in doing less than a mile on the bike if you've just zoned out on the evil elliptical for almost thirty minutes.
At least that is what I'm telling myself.

3 comments:

Roni said...

LOL I think the weekly gym musings should be a column. They're a hoot!

Will you please pm me your address again when you get a minute? You can use my flickrmail if you like.

Thanks Marty. I am enjoying the laughs over here lately. You have a great sense of humor.:)

iarepilotswife said...

Your blogging lately is making me laugh.
So, thanks again.

Anonymous said...

heh heh. You are much too observant for me EVER to go to the gym with you. I would not want to be blog fodder, as amusing as it would be!

btw, we had an old pastor once (even older than the last old pastor we had) who would say, "Women used to wear unmentionables, but now they wear nothing to mention."

sg