To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, April 28, 2011

YIPPEE!!

All right, remember a few weeks back when I was whining complaining about how much I disliked most change? Especially technological changes? It was when my old phone died and I had to get a new one. Well this past week has been a whirlwind of technological change for me. And get this...I am soooooooooo excited about it all!!
On Monday, my sweet best friend Lori sent me a computer. With Light Room installed on it for my photo editing pleasure. How cool is that? Then my wonderful husband jumped on the let's-be-super-sweet-to-Marty-for-no-good-reason bandwagon and set up a desk and work area for the new machine. It required some rearranging of furniture but it's working out great.
And then yesterday I got this in the mail...

Can you guess what's inside?
......
............
..................
..........................
.....................................
...................................................
............................................................



I am so stinkin' happy about this new camera! It's the entry level camera from Canon's professional line. I'm swooning people!  We got a really great deal because normally this runs around $1200 brand new. We got this gently used one from a student who only used it during a photography class for no where near that much.
There's a pretty substantial difference between the two cameras (the Rebel xti that I had and this 50d) even in the body itself. The 50d is heavier and built more sturdy. It also has a lot more bells and whistles...and it handles low light situations better with an iso that goes all the way up to 3200...and the ability to do more custom settings and...and...and...and...
Can you tell I'm excited?
I have so much to learn but I figured out a really big secret to keep me from feeling overwhelmed last night. I know way more now than I did when Rob and my family handed me my first Rebel ten years ago.
   :-)

10 comments:

Cayce said...

Are you looking to sell your old camera? ;)

Jane said...

I call you're old one. PLEASE. Since I'm your favorite.

Jane said...

In fact I'll make a deal...

You give me you're camera for free and I'll take free portraits of your kids. I'll even throw in a beaded necklace and glitter for only $12.

iarepilotswife said...

I can't wait for Lucy to meet your new camera. It's going to be so much fun!

Jan @twoscoopz said...

SO happy for you!
You're going to have a blast :)

Christine said...

WHOOAA! Yippee is right! I borrowed my friend's 50D a few weeks back for a low lighting situation and found it fabulous, though big and a little tricky to get used to when you're used to the little Rebel. I am so used to where the dials are on the Reb that I felt very clumsy on the 50D but if you are just starting to learn manual, you won't have that problem. Are you taking a class or anything? I have to put in a shout out for Clickin' Moms RYC 101 class for learning to shoot manual. It truly made it "click" for me and I've never looked back.

Don't give away that old camera too quick:) You might like it as a back up!

SO SO happy for you! Especially after ten years... I think you will appreciate it more than most.

Lori Warman said...

Although the temptation of passing on your old camera seems well, .......DON'T DO IT!!!!!! A good photographer always needs more than one camera. Now, lending it out to budding photographers every now and again, is a much better idea. Have Fun.

Marty said...

I'm sorry to say that I won't be passing along the Rebel just yet...I'm very happy to say that Rob will be shooting with me more now
:-)
However, as Lori said, I will be happy to share upon occasion!
And, oh dear Christine...I think I just found a new place to visit a lot! Are you going to enter an image int he photo contest? You totally should :-)

Jane said...

Shoot. I really thought you'd go for it with the whole glitter and beaded necklace deal.

Jane said...

Oh and Mrs. Warman...does that mean I'm not a good photographer? Cause I only have one camera...*tear*