To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, April 8, 2011

Oh La La


Lemon Blueberry Torte...it was so delicious! At least that's what everyone said because you know I didn't try it. The odd thing I'm learning during this diet and baking craze is that I don't really have to eat it...I just love the process of making it. Of course it could just be a diabolical plan to make my diet look even more successful by making everyone else around me gain weight...
Nah, I wouldn't be that mean :-)
I made this Tuesday for the dessert appreciation treat for the teachers on Wednesday at the school. The theme was cheesecakes and tortes and some of those women make incredible cheesecakes so I decided to try out making a torte even though I'd never made one before. Nothing like a wee bit of pressure to stress you out to guarantee something turns out well. My fall back plan was Publix and their really scrumptious no crust cheesecake. I so would have put it on a doily and served it up with chocolate or caramel. Don't worry, I would have fessed up. I have no misplaced pride about sharing my kitchen failures. Just ask the women in my mom's group who got a big laugh over my excitement that you can actually make pudding from scratch. Or I'll tell you that I spent 45 minutes looking at recipes only to realize that a tart and a torte are not the same thing. I then spent ten minutes trying to figure out just what that difference is...it still isn't super clear. Needless to say I have several more recipes bookmarked to try out in the near future. But the torte was a big hit and quite pretty I might add.

There isn't a real recipe I can point you to because I sort of lifted a few ideas from here and there and made it up as I went along. Here's the basic gist of what I did:
Looked in my pantry and found a yellow cake mix. (I'm still on the search for a good homemade cake recipe so if you have one please feel free to share.)
I then decided that I didn't want to go to the store for a lemon cake mix and dug around in the cabinet until I found lemon flavoring.
Made the cake according to the directions and added the lemon flavor.
Divided the batter into three nine inch cake pans and cooked them for fifteen minutes at 350 degrees.
While the cakes cooled I doubled this recipe for lemon cream cheese frosting. I put a third of the icing on the bottom layer and added blueberries before putting the next cake layer on. Then I repeated the process making a nifty little heart out of the blueberries on the top layer. Because, well that's just the way I do things around here :-)
Each month that we've done the desserts at the school I am always impressed with how pretty everything looks. But cheesecakes and tortes have to be some of the prettiest ones to make. A bonus...Rob told me the torte was a definite keeper! I love making something that he enjoys.

3 comments:

Roni said...

It looks just delightful, Marty. Funny, I just finished reading all three of your latest blog posts and I feel like I had a visit with a good friend and feel fed in more ways than one. I get so overwhelmed with commenting sometimes, between all my activity on the web, but I never want to miss an opportunity to tell you that you regularly speak to my heart.

On another note, I have not forgotten your post card idea. Things have finally slowed down a bit and now I've got a cold, but I will pursue that again next week and we'll see what happens ok? Have a great weekend and again...I really enjoyed my visit with you this morning and I read every word of the last few posts. xo

magaw said...

I think you are a remarkable young lady! I am so happy that my son found you and made you my "Daughter-in-My-Heart." You do the sweetest things and you are such a Godly woman - you are a wonderful mother and wife. I love reading each of your blogs and seeing your beautiful photography. Thank you for being you! I love You!!!!!

Christine said...

If I could I would come over right now and grab me a slice of that, or two. I love that you didn't run out to the store either... way to be resourceful and industrious! Your pictures are inspiring- I think I might make this as soon as I can get my hands on some blueberries. And cream cheese.