To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, April 21, 2011

A New Recipe

In a few weeks Rob and I will celebrate twelve years of wedded bliss. The man has changed my life and I'm pretty confident that never has a woman been more loved and cherished than I. (Disagree if you must...everyone woman should be able to say such...but I'm sticking by my statement :-)
So what does that have to do with a new recipe? Nothing really, except for those almost twelve years the man has been adamant that meat loaf and brussel sprouts were not really food or fit for consumption. Then a few months back all changed. He went on a pastoral visit and the family fed him brussel sprouts and surprise surprise he really enjoyed them. So much so that he had me buy a bag of them for dinner that weekend...much to the sorrow of his children.
That same weekend at our Sunday lunch (our church eats together each week) another family brought a meatloaf and he loved it. I guess his taste are changing as he ages matures. But this new recipe I'm sharing today is not for a meatloaf (although personally I have always loved meatloaf and cannot wait to make it and break my twelve year fast...oh, yummy next day meatloaf sandwiches how I've missed you!)
On Monday the kids and I went to a new to us (I think this is it's second season?) farmer's market in Pace and low and behold they had fresh brussel sprouts. I bought a pound and came home to search out recipes and found this one.
First, wash and peel off any yellow and sad looking leaves.


Next, cut off the ends.

Then take a photo while you cut them in half because you know action shots are just so darned exciting! try not to cut yourself while doing so.

Put the trimmed sprouts into a bowl and toss with 2 TBS of olive oil and 1 TBS balsamic vinegar.

Arrange the brussel sprouts in a single layer in a pan and roast for twenty minutes at 450 degrees turning occasionally until they are slightly browned and crisp on the edges. (If you forget to turn them you may have one of two that are uhm, a little more done the others...don't ask how I know this...just trust me)
Rob enjoyed them just like this although the recipe called for tossing them with pine nuts and freshly grated  parmesan cheese after roasting. Which sounds absolutely delicious  and means we will definitely be doing these again.

Now, I know you don't usually hear anybody extolling the virtues of this little baby cabbages so I have to ask...do you guys eat them? Until now I haven't liked them but I tried one and they were pretty yummy this way. Any other ways to prepare them that are tasty?

4 comments:

iarepilotswife said...

Oh my goodness.

I'm coming over.

Amanda said...

I super-love brussel sprouts. I mean LOVE. I could eat them at every meal, every day. LOVE them! And, they look yummy done up the way you have them....I think I've only ever had them cooked like regular cabbage. yummy.

Heather said...

I definitely love them roasted with cheese the best. (But anything smothered in Parmesan Cheese is good) :)

Roni said...

No never eat them because I think they are gross. Except maybe I am more aged...ahem, mature now because this looks SO delicious! I'm gonna have to try it!