To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Program

What is our regularly scheduled program? I'm sure I don't know...except at this time of year when things are wrapping up at school and the play is in it's final stages (Rob is the director again this year) it's kind of hectic and crazy. It's our normal. But like my sweet mother-in-law tells me, just hang on because there will be another new normal coming along soon.
I slept until 8:40 this morning.
8:40!
I haven't slept that late in I can't remember how long. Notice that I'm not saying I stayed in bed that long...I actually slept that long. How is this possible you ask? Don't you have like a gazillion children?
I have five to be exact which is pretty much close to a gazillion because frankly we have Claire and well, she has a lot of personality. Plus she and Abby are both early risers. But all five of them spent the night away from home last night. This happens maybe once or twice a year. Well, this is the second year that it's happened so I'm going with it being a regular part of our lives. And usually it's about this time in April...somehow it works out during the final weeks of play practice. Last year I managed it again in May around our anniversary. Not sure I'll be able to pull it off again in a few weeks but we'll see.
We love our children. We love life with our children. Especially as they are getting older, it opens up new activities when no one is in diapers or a stroller and they can all actually carry on conversations and understand games and stuff.
But every once in a while it is pretty amazing to be home alone with your beloved. We tried to stay out on the town honest. But by six twenty we decided to get what we needed to make dinner and come home. It was lovely.
And I slept in until 8:40.
Which kind of made me laugh when I read Melynda's blog post this morning. Because she's chatting about sleeping too. Then reading Christine's post this morning was like a sigh of contentment.
In other news, I have a new phone. If you know me at all, and if you don't here a little not so secret secret, I don't handle change very well. Wait, let me qualify that. Some change I like and I take in stride but technological changes not so much. I hated switching over to gmail even though our old email was a redonkulous pain. My main page changed from internet explorer to whatever it is that I have now and I complained for three days. My precious son messes around with my desk top and rearranges things and I demand in a very queenly demand that he fix it back. Give me a new cell phone and I'll whine like a three year old while I learn how to navigate it. It intimidates me. It frustrates me. And then I'll figure it out and the new becomes my new normal and everything settles and it becomes my way. "Martha, you're going to be fine. You just have to get used to it." That's my beloved's counsel  but you must imagine the gentle exasperation in his voice when he says it. He picked the phone out for me...isn't it pretty?

Melynda, who is the blogging queen, asked me if I had email access on my new toy. Because you know if you do then you can blog in real time and then email it to blogger.
Um mm, are you kidding me? I looked like some kind of comedy sketch in the dentist office because the phone was ringing (loudly) and I didn't know how to unlock the key pad so I could answer it. This is me blogging in real time and that's why she wears the blogging crown and I don't. Plus she has way more interesting real time adventures that should be blogged than I do...she's got eight kids and a pilot for a husband.
My friend Lori asked if the new phone texted better than the old one. I'm pretty sure that no matter how spiffy my shiny new blue phone looks the level of texting capabilities is directly related to the texter so, yeah no not really. My sweet friend Susan just likes to mock me by sending me a text and when she's sure I'm trying to answer that one she sends me four more in rapid machine gun fire style.
My friend's love me.
But look, my phone does have one of those slide out keyboard thingies so I am using two thumbs when I text. I haven't noticed it making me any faster though.
I'm sure that by tomorrow there will be blazing fast technology available and I will be so 2010 with this phone but I'm going to figure this one out and it's all the phone I need for the next decade or so.
I think I'm settling into middleagedness with grace and dignity don't you?

4 comments:

BeckyJ said...

This is my exact phone, only mine is red. Chuck and Taylor have this phone in black. It's a great phone for texting, but not internet. Which is fine for me since we refuse to pay the monthly access fee. :)

I wonder who's slower at texting, me or you?

iarepilotswife said...

We have that phone too. Or one kinda almost exactly like it but maybe a little different. We call it the house phone because it's the one we leave with the kids when we're out and about and I can barely figure out how to use it. And my phone is a smart phone so I should be way over it. But I'm not.

I think I'm just technologically impatient. If there isn't a big button that says 'push this to make this happen' I have no time for it.

P.S. the word verification that I have to type in to post this comment because blogger is unsure if I'm a real person or not is almost a very bad wordy-dird. I'm embarrassed to even have to type it in but I want to leave this comment so I'm just gonna do it.

Marty said...

Oh, Becky I'm pretty sure it's me
:-)
And Mel, haha you said wordy dird.

Roni said...

This cracked me up. lol And did you stick the word, redonkulous in there to make sure we were paying attention? You are so funny. I am loving loving loving your blog tonight. It's so amusin.:) I actually looked it up and it's in the dictionary! I can't wait to use it.