To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Monday, March 7, 2011

My Kids Are The Greatest

Seriously, they are.
Let me begin with a disclaimer. Lori is an exceptional house guest. She has trained, and is training, her children to pick up after themselves and to be helpful around the house. (I'll also point out that they do these things in a true Philippians 2:14 kind of way with no complaining...which makes it rather easy for me to do I Peter 4:9.)
But, after almost three weeks of twelve people living in a rather smallish house you can imagine that things get into a slight disarray.
There wasn't time on Saturday to do much cleaning up and on Sunday I had a commitment out of the house that I needed to keep. Rob also had some pastoral duties to tend which left the kidlets home alone with the order to clean their bedrooms firmly in place. That was all they had to do.
Clean. Up. Your. Rooms.
But not only had they cleaned their rooms, I walked into a home that had been freshly mopped and chaos had been sent packing. They sweet children had even cleaned up my room and scrubbed both bathrooms. And apparently watching Claire vacuum is a sight to behold.
I'm pretty sure my kids are so awesome because of their Daddy. He is a strong and faithful priest in our home...taking very seriously his role as our head. He leads us in good and delightful ways, drawing us closer to the cross and our King.
What a man.
What great kids.
I so don't deserve them. Or any of the blessings that God has heaped on my head.
My heart is thankful.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I loved reading this. :) So sweet.

iarepilotswife said...

I love your kids.
They are some good people.

Christine said...

inspiring and wonderful.