To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Growing Old


Yep, it's me again. Another self portrait in less a week. I must be getting vain. Actually it isn't vanity...not really. It is more so that you could see what I see whenever I look in the mirror these days.
Please excuse the extreme close up but do you see it?
The gray??
I'm pretty sure I have more today than I did on Sunday and it's not because of some ridiculous story of mishap and mayhem that caused it.
It just is.
I'm getting old I guess. But I'll be honest, I'm loving life at forty. I feel sad for women who feel like they need to fight aging as hard as they can...covering up the signs of maturity and the passage of years. Mind you, my sorrow is not directed at women who choose to color their hair or use other means to look youthful and hold onto the way they've always looked.
I'm talking about the women who feel like they have to cover up the fact that they've lived...who think they must stay young and trendy looking at all cost...no matter that young and trendy passed by them a decade or so ago.
A recent poll was taken asking men and woman at what age they felt old. The results were pretty amazing because of the huge gap in the numerical answer.
On average men pinpointed the 'feeling old' age at 58. Their top reason for this relating to the bedroom. (I'm not even gonna go there.) Their second reason was the one that made me lol.* That is the age that most of the men believed they stopped enjoying loud music and bars. I cannot attest to the bar part of the equation, but as far as the loud music goes then my husband has been feeling pretty old for a while now and he's only 48. (I love you honey, but you know it's true :-)
The average age that women felt old?
Twenty-nine.
29
Almost a thirty year difference at the point which each sex feels old. The women polled said it was because they were about to have their first milestone birthday (turning 30) and because they no longer felt like they could identify with the twenty something actresses  and twig thin fashion models found in advertising.
I just found this all to be rather odd.
I'm still waiting for that moment when I'll really and truly feel like a grown up.

*My husband, the one who has long disliked really loud music, recently made some comments about the young folks actually speaking in text language...I couldn't resist the attempt to be all trendy and with it. At least in print. I'm pretty sure I will never utter the sound you make when speaking the letters 'lol' or 'rofl' as actual words. (And that last one? I had to ask what that even meant.)

4 comments:

Rob Hadding said...

You're very pretty...you know, for an old skinny woman.

Marty said...

You, my love, are the reason I don't feel it necessary to pretend to be something I'm not. One of the sweetest things you've ever said was when you saw my other sp and said you hope I didn't take it the wrong way but that I looked like a wife and mother. The way you said it and the look on your face makes it very easy for me to grow old.
Every woman should be so blessed.

Nonners said...

rolling on the floor laughing. It's a generation thing I think, because I don't use any of these "Txt" things either. I just think I know because I was sort of born into the coming of age of txting. Weird how that works. And Awwwwweee, that's so sweet :]

Roni said...

I am guilty of lol. I have no idea why, but it makes me laugh just to write it.
Ah, Marty. You are beautiful, gray hair and all, and seems like you are pretty comfy in your own skin these days...I don't know.
Today, I feel old. And I miss you on my stream.