To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, March 17, 2011

For Japan With Love

I'm tongue tied about this...the tragedy in Japan...the heartbreaking images...the stories that will make you cry...the ones that will cause you to rejoice. But how do you talk about something like this? Devastation  on such a magnitude that most of us will probably be spared from ever experiencing? I was so annoyed by one of the earliest news stories that I watched after the earthquake and subsequent tsunami. The newscaster seemed almost entertained by it...totally disconnected from the destruction and loss of life that was playing out across the screen. I don't think our conversation should be centered just around the horrifying photographs and sound bites that we see. Nor do I think it should become just a reminder about how fortunate and blessed we are because it didn't happen here...it didn't happen to us. 

Does that make sense?
My lack of ability to communicate clearly what a proper response should be reminds me of Romans 8:28,
"...for we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groaning too deep for words."
I don't know what to say so I rely on Him to give voice as I clumsily utter petitions for His will to be done...for peace...for comfort.
Tomorrow I will be participating in a world wide blogger's day of silence...no post of any kind as a show of sympathy  and to help raise awareness for the plight of the Japanese people who have suffered such tremendous loss.
I hope you will take a moment and pray for them as well.
  

1 comments:

Roni said...

I have taken a lot of moments of silence over the last couple of weeks. I cannot fathom it, Marty.