To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Catch Up #1

I mentioned yesterday that I was a little behind in blogging the blogging stuff in my head, so this morning I'm just going to jump and play catch up.
First up...the angry Egyptian.

According to Abby, Egyptian children did not smile. Instead they wore this furiously frowning face...to me it just confirms what Ecclesiastes teaches and there is nothing new under the sun. This is probably the same face   an Egyptian mother received when she said no when they asked to go swimming in the Nile.
There are different feast and celebrations that various classes do each year at Trinitas to wrap up a particular area of study. Second grade had Egyptian Day last week, complete with authentic Egyptian food (I made homemade barley bread :-) basket weaving, writing their names in hieroglyphics and mummy masks. They end the day with a small play that tells the story of Moses and the children of Israel.
I convinced Abby that if she could channel a disco Egyptian with all that sparkely headband, bracelet and belt then it would probably be okay for her to smile in the picture.

 She complied...sort of.
I know they all had a great time but I'm really looking forward to her next big event...prairie day! They've started reading the series by Laura Ingalls Wilder and in a few weeks the whole day will be spent enjoying life the way it happened on the frontier. The boys will work a garden and chop wood, the girls will make butter and piece together mini quilts. I can't wait!

0 comments: