To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To Keep or Not?

So, I have a tiny dilemma. Actually, a vary narrow dilemma. Our front door area is small. I want that space to be welcoming as people approach our home but the space is well, narrow.
Have you ever done this? Found something you really liked at a store and thought to yourself, "Self, you are going to remember this and when you have a little extra money to spend you are going to come back and buy it." Only, when you had the extra money you went back to the store and suddenly decided that maybe you didn't like it as much as you thought you did? I know it's another form of unshopping and I have that down to an art which is beginning to bug me a little bit. But this time it wasn't so bad because when I showed Rob the wreath, (did I mention it was a faux rosewood wreath  from Target for the front door because it was) he made that face he makes when he doesn't really care for something but he can tell I kind of like it and he doesn't want to hurt my feelings.
Needless to say, if I'm second guessing the item and he doesn't care for it I'm not going to get it...especially at that price.
So I'm back to square one and doing what I do when I looking for inspiration. I hit the blogosphere. And let me just say that there are some pretty interesting ways people decorate their front door ways. I really liked some of the ideas but none of them seemed to really fit us. And I also wasn't looking for something to switch out for seasons and holidays...that would drive my love batty.
But I combined a couple of things that I thought were really neat and came up with something that again, I thought was really kind of neat. But, Rob got that look on his face again. Let me add in his defense that he liked the actual article fine...he just doesn't necessarily want it on our front door. And Sarah's response was, and I quote, "Mom, that's just weird."
Now, I'm going to bring it to you...should it stay or go? Does it just need a little something else or just start all over?
Come on...tell me what ya think. I can take it. Unless, you're...like, totally mean or something.


And a close up of the monogram...

Opinions?

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Hmmm. I don't LOVE it. You know you can get a GREAT grape vine wreath at Michael's for $3.99-ish. That would be the cost of the one that would really fit your door. I have one, and then occasionally when I'm feeling crafty, I'll purchase some little floral sprigs to spruce it up a bit. But I think just the plain jane grape vine wreath looks so pretty. Just a suggestion. :0)

iarepilotswife said...

I think it's pretty, and I like the stripes.

And I really am not into wreaths on front doors. Everybody does that. It's so...
I don't know.
I'm just not into them.

I think what you've done is interesting, different, and really cool.
But that's just me. The girl who probably will never put anything on her front door because of my whole unusual dislike of stuff hanging anywhere in or about my house.

I'm such a bland person.

Marty said...

Amanda I do like the grapevine wreaths but my problem is the color of the door itself combined with whatever I put on it...maybe I'm making too much of a deal over that though? How do you hang yours...with one of those hanger thingies?
Mel, thank you for the 'interesting, different and really cool' comment cos that is not what usually comes to mind with me :-)

Jessie said...

i like it but i don't love it on the door. i think it would look neat on the brick before you get to the door. but i'm kinda strange that way. ;)

Amanda said...

well the grapevine wreath is just twisted vines (brown) in the shape of a wreath. I use a clear hanger that I also got at Michael's. My door is red, so I got the clear so I don't have to worry about matching my door knob...blah, blah, blah. It's simple and pretty. I'm sure you will eventually find something you just love.

Kait said...

Creative, but Secondary Mom...that's just weird. :-P

I think it's cute!

- Kait

Theresa said...

Cute but not on the door.

Donna said...

I agree, not on the door, at least not the front door.

Beckie said...

I really like it!