To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Somebody Got A Spanking


Let me clarify that she didn't get the spanking because the milk spilled and flooded the hall, the pantry and under the refrigerator.
Accidents happen. As a momma you deal with them and move on.
She got the spanking because she was supposed to be in another room doing something else when she decided to disobey and 'help' her brother with what he was doing.
I was not a happy camper.
When I text (should that have an ed on the end? text-ed? What is the past tense form of text?) Rob do you know what he said?
'Well, don't cry over it.'
Funny man.
So I grabbed my camera. It's the photographer's equivalent to counting to ten. It was also giving me time to  figure out the best way to clean up.
Here's the ironic thing. On Wednesday I clean my fridge out because garbage runs on Thursday. There is also about a six or eight inch gap between the refrigerator and the counter. Too small for anything useful and big enough to have things get dropped and be difficult to reach. While I was cleaning out the fridge I dropped a Chinese carry out into that space. Thankfully those little containers can take a punch and even though it cracked, only a little bit of white chicken chili splattered out onto the side of the fridge. Of course I still had to wiggle the fridge around just a bit in order to wipe it clean.
Do you see where this is going?
The thought crossed my mind right there that maybe I should pull the thing all the way out and give it a good cleaning. But I didn't feel like it.  There were other things I wanted to waste time on take care of.
But then the Claire made milk lake happened and guess what I had to do?
Pull the whole thing out and clean up milk plus all of the dust, three beads, one rubber band and two magnet letters that were under there.
It was ga-ross.
That will teach me to be a slacker.

7 comments:

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

Great post. I love real life. :} xo tam

Roni said...

LOL Oh dear. Now you are guilting me into it. I also have that nasty space on either side of the stove. Just tiny enough not to be noticeable but just wide enough for things to fall down in there and I can only imagine what months of ignoring it must look like under there. Ick...isn't that classified as spring cleaning? It's not spring yet! I hope my kids don't spill any milk! lol:) Great post. Made me smile... and although I am sure cleaning up was no fun, it sure made for an amusing blog post!

PDeverit said...

Good info-
Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak
http://www.nospank.net/pt2010.pdf

iarepilotswife said...

What? You spank your children?

Oh dear!

;)

Hey, grabbing a camera is also my way of counting to ten. And I'm not a photographer.
Sometimes I need more than ten seconds though.
I call it, mommy bloggers equivalent to a 1/2 hour.
:)

BeckyJ said...

First- you're so funny! And looking at all that spilled milk made *me* want to cry, so I sympathize, friend.

Second- the link shared above was...interesting.

Third- the word verification on this comment was "sholytee". I just thought it was amusing and odd and had to share!

:)

Marty said...

It was quite a Mommy moment.
And, yes, the link posted by PDeverit did lead to some interesting views. I appreciate that you have a difference of opinion and also the fact that you weren't rude about it. :-)

Beth Crocker said...

Excellent post! I can sooooo relate, as all moms can! You made me feel not so alone.