To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

On Our Book Shelf

Being Consumed~Economics and Christian Desire by William T. Cavanaugh
I'm almost finished with it. It's been a good but difficult (for me) to read book. The first part was difficult to grasp as my knowledge of economics could fit onto the tip of a pin with room left over. The middle section was were I really got into it. I've already shared a bit about how we wish to produce more in our home so I won't rehash it all again. Suffice it to say that it helped paint a picture of how that can look even if we still have a lot of coloring in do. This last part though? I know and understand even less about globalization than I do economics. But I'm going to push through because every now and then a sentence or two does make sense and it's good stuff.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Sarah is reading this right now at school. I've never read it before so I checked it out from the library to read it along with her. I'm actually looking forward to reading it just because plus she has some really interesting class discussions with Mr Gibbs (the greatest teacher ever) and I'm looking forward to talking about it with her.

Other books out around our house include the Flat Stanley series  being read by Sam and Abby.
Abby also recently finished My Father's Dragon by Ruth Gannett and The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgliesh.
Sam is also reading from The Children's Book of Virtue by William J Bennett each day.
Emily is reading one of my all time favorite Revolutionary war stories, Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes. I can still remember reading it in elementary school and loving it!
Sarah will also be reading one of the Psmith books by PG Woodhouse and I might just have to bum it from her before it goes back to school. Right now though she is in the midst of Dandelion Fire which is book two in the 100 Cupboards series by ND Wilson. I think she was surprised by how much she is enjoying it considering that she thought it was a 'kid' book. The third book in that series, The Chestnut King, is on it's way to our house as we speak, along with two of the books that were on my Christmas wish list.
So what are you reading?

2 comments:

paula said...

You can talk with me about Frankenstein, too! I'm listening to it as an audio book while I cook, knit, sew, etc. during Camilla's naps. I was going to mention that to you today and forgot. :)

Christine said...

I really have to look for that first book while we're home this summer. And my brother just read Frankenstein for his Literature program and gave to me to read... he loved it. Great list here. Thanks for sharing them. Your daughter's birthday post is so gorgeous too. Love that one with the sunflare coming behind her. Magical. Ahh! Hope you have a wonderful day with all this goodness.