To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, February 4, 2011

Look What We Found

Meet Elvis.

How absolutely adorable is he? He was hanging out in our yard when we came home from school the other afternoon. 
Sam immediately jumped out of the van and asked if we could name our new pet Lewis. (Why Lewis you ask? I've no idea at all.)
While I'm gently explaining that the sweet and precious hound dog delightfully licking and running around them excitedly was not our dog Sarah chimes in,
"I'm going to call him King Louie"
He. Is. Not. Our. Dog.
You try telling that to five children that desperately want one of their very own to love and cherish and then forget to feed and clean up behind. It was kind of hard for them to take me seriously because the little fella would come trotting up to me with this stupid grin on his face and big jowls blobbing all over and I'd stop mid sentence lecture and say something ridiculous like, "Aren't you just a precious one...you sweet wittle handsome dawg."
But my goodness he was so cute with those big droopy eyes and short stubby body. (Hey that may be why we bonded so well ;-)
Alas, it was not meant to be and after calling the vet's number listed on his tag we received a call from Elvis' people who promptly came and claimed him. 
(I'm going to refrain from the obvious 'Elvis has left the building'...okay, well I guess I didn't but it just had to be put out there.)
I snapped a quick picture on the phone to send Rob of Sarah and Em with Elvis with the words 'Guess what we found?!' while we figured out what to do.  
To which he replied, "Oh, no you didn't"

Something tells me that Daddy is the backbone really holding us to the personal no pet policy we have in place as long as we are renting a house. I'll probably cave way faster than him when we buy a place.
The thought which both delights and mortifies me. 

6 comments:

Roni said...

Oh my goodness! Instalove!:) Look at those eyes. I'm with you girl. I'd SO cave....

Theresa said...

Once upon a time I had two of those cuties, Lucy and Ethel.

iarepilotswife said...

You let it lick you, didn't you.
I've warned you about letting them get too close.

Cute dog, though. Were Elvis' parent close by or was he a traveler?

Marty said...

Lucy and Ethel...that is classic! Elvis lives a block over and he's actually come back for another visit.

Lauren said...

Isaac loves the dog!

BeckyJ said...

Awww, I love Elvis! We had a basset growing up named Sir Cederic the Third. I never knew the First and Second, but our Cederic was the sweetest little guy. How nice you get to visit with Elvis sometimes! :)

I love the look on Emily's face as she baby talks to him!