To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Friday, February 11, 2011

Days of Gray

It was an early morning run to Walmart. I do that sometimes, after dropping the girls off at school I'll make my way to wally world to grab something that I've forgotten or decided I need. Today I had decided on a specific item for lunch but that was just my excuse...not my real reason for being there.
The wind tugged opened my jacket as I stepped out of the van. The cold gray sky had been hanging around all week. Sapping energy and settling into my bones. I'm the kind of person that can enjoy a good storm or rain shower but the monotonous cold and dreary weather we'd been having was sinking into my brain. I felt like my thoughts were turning gray and brittle. I straightened my camera strap, hunched my shoulders against the wind and shoved my hands deep into my pockets.
I kept my head down slightly as I walked across the parking lot causing my hair to blow into my face. My eyes, however stayed fixed on my destination. I would stay my course, purpose in every step. The closer I got I could feel my breathing relax and I no longer noticed my shivers from the cold.
I sidestepped another early morning shopper and stopped. The color was so bright so alive that I could almost feel warmth.


Daffodils. The beautiful sunny harbinger of spring. I'd noticed the bulbs for sale a few days ago and I knew I'd be back camera in hand. To capture the freshness...the newness.
The stalks stood tall and green against the cold.

The blooms sang a hearty colorful chorus.

Awake, thou wintry earth -
Fling off thy sadness!
Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth
Your ancient gladness!

~Thomas Blackburn 

I'm taking part in Homemadeinchina's days of gray photo challenge.
days of gray button 3"

2 comments:

Donna said...

And they didn't run you out of Walmart? I guess they just like you better.

Roni said...

FLING off the sadness and rejoice! I love this. So sunny and cheerful.:)