To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How Cool Is This?

A few weeks ago my Mother and I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond because her bathroom was being remodeled. She spent a fairly good amount of money because

  • a. She'd never really 'done' her bathroom before and
  • b. in her own words she probably never will do it again

We had a lot of fun and chose a really beautiful pattern and color to match the new flooring and cabinets.
As a side note may I just say how fun that was? I do way less un-shopping when it's for other people and not myself.
I don't normally shop at BBB because they can be kind of pricey, plus they're at the mall...I'm in Milton...I usually go more local like Target :-) On the day we were there it was crazy busy and I really wasn't all that impressed. A couple of things bothered me. Our cashier was very inexperienced in running a register. Not just new to the job but hey-I'm-sorry-I'm-so-slow-but-normally-I work-the-floor kind of inexperience. We had to wait a few minutes in the middle of checking out while she went and had someone remove the anti theft thingie from something we were purchasing because she didn't know how to work it. On top of that, the store is very difficult to navigate a buggy through, which we were doing with five children in tow plus one long suffering husband (mine). Not their problem I know except that there were abandoned buggies all over the store blocking what little aisle space there was. Can't someone please just gather them up so they aren't blocking traffic?
Anyway, one of the items we bought, a towel holder for the counter, didn't fit her counter so today my mom took it back. She called me to lament the fact that almost all of the things she had bought just two weeks ago were now on sale for about half of what she paid. I gave her sufficient sympathy and we hung up. About twenty minutes later she calls me again.
The people in the store had overheard her conversation with me and refunded her the price difference for the items she had bought that were now on sale. She didn't even ask, they just did it.
Cool beans, huh?

0 comments: