To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day Eight~Days of Gray

Plans so often have a way of changing don't they? We have sick child in the house so no beach today but it is absolutely too lovely to be down about it. Lori took the three oldest girls off to wander around some antique consignment stores and I am going to do some much needed scrubbing of bathrooms and laundry. With twelve people in the house those two things have to happen a little more often than normal, don't you think?
Did I mention that the other night Sam dropped a gallon of milk? The grown ups were in the living room and there was a loud sound and Rob says, "What was that?"
Myself, on the other hand, is leaping from the couch trying to not dump my dinner plate on the floor as I garble out, "It's the milk!"
I recognize the sound of the particular gurgle that comes from a plastic milk carton when it hits the floor and begins heaving it's contents all over my floor. This time under my stove. Needless to say I can mark off cleaning under and behind appliances from my spring cleaning list.
I also recognize the sound of a battery dying in a smoke detector. Yep, the one in my bedroom this time. Notice that I am not offering a plate of cookies to get this figured out? I learned my lesson last time :-)

This morning was so fun and unexpected. I got up and checked my email and found a notice from my friend Donna about a yard sale in Pensacola. I thought that Lori and I would maybe head over and check it out if Rob was agreeable to the plan. I underestimated his fear of the nine children in the house though and much to my surprise and joy, he went with us.
Now my beloved may grumble a bit about going to a yard sale but he very quickly gets into the grove. He loves talking a deal and we picked up some rather nifty items. I did totally miss out on an amazing door that I wanted for a photo shoot idea I have in my head which  really wasn't his fault because it seems that someone else had seen them first and was just pulling their car around to pick them up when I saw them. He wouldn't let me buy the big red chair though, also for use as a photo prop, but I've decided to be a big girl and get over it.
Steak and shrimp on the grill tonight for dinner...maybe some baking and crafting.
What a fine Saturday.
Hope yours is as well!
PS
The only way to display weeds from your yard when dirty little hands come to you clutching a small treasure hand picked just for you...

days of gray button 3"

2 comments:

iarepilotswife said...

Haha! We do the same thing with "wild flower" gifts.

Smart that you stayed away from the cookies idea. Lauren gets a bit testy when it comes to cookies. Better not to get her started again.

~;0)

Christine said...

those are weeds? I just love that this is what "weeds" end up like, and that milk spills get you cleaning where it really needs it, and that sick kids bring unexpected gifts, like the ability to go to a great yard sale (though hopefully the sickee is on the mend...)