To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Sunday, January 9, 2011

So What's For Dinner?

It's a cold, wet icky winter's night. You'd think there would be the delicious aroma of a simmering soup or hearty stew wafting through my house. Maybe some tasty cornbread or warm and crusty french bread to go with it.
Instead, it's sloppy joes and fries.
Hey, don't judge...it's what I had on hand.
And it's really okay because I also had bacon.
And sour cream.
And green onions.
Aannnnddddd avocados!
So while it may not be the expected meal for a frosty evening there will be some happy tummies sitting around my dinner table in a few minutes...
And that, my friends, makes it a good night.

The Best Avocado Salad You'll Ever Make

  • one small package of bacon cut into small pieces, cooked and drained
  • 3 or four avocados (you have to make sure they are just right...not quite ripe and it will be bitter...too ripe and they'll be all smushy and yucky.)
  • 3 green onions chopped
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • little bit of lemon juice
  • Peel and chop avocados, add chopped onions, bacon bits, sour cream and a wee bit of lemon juice mixing gently until well blended. 
  • Spoon onto red leaf lettuce and enjoy!

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Did I miss the phone call for the avocado salad? I had my phone on. I know you wouldn't make it without me. Would you???

BeckyJ said...

Well...finally!! =D

And thanks!

Marty said...

Becky, I know! Sorry but better late than never :-)

And Lauren, I almost brought you some over but, uhm well...you see, the thing is...we ate it all.
I'm very ashamed.

BeckyJ said...

How are you finding ripe avocados to make this? All I see are either hard, green ones or mushy ones.

BeckyJ said...

Hey, I just found out how to ripen avocados quickly! Check out this link:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/ripening-avocados-quickly.html

Now I can go buy some and have Avocado Salad in a few days!!

Marty said...

I just always cruise by the avocados when I'm at the store to see if any are ripe.
The good thing is if they have just gotten in a new shipment the older ones will be reduced in price...on these last ones the would have cost me about $12 for the four but they had been marked down so I got them for a little over $5.
I'm glad about the link though because sometimes you just need some of the goodness :-)