To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Little Things

Whenever Rob goes out of town I tend to do things to keep me busy and distracted. It's too cold and overall yucky to work on the garage (which is my normal surprise-guess-what-I-did-while-you-were-gone activity...don't ask me why it's always the garage that needs an overhaul it just is...and yes, it really needs it now but I'm waiting for at least the sun to shine.)
So Monday night I cleaned out the fridge. Have I whined told you about my refrigerator?
I hate it.
I can't tell you how spoiled I was for years, years people, to have the lovely and spacious side by side kind of fridge. Coming back to the old freezer on top kind has been a real pain in my tuckus.  You can't see or find anything, including the 57 half full jars of salsa I keep buying because I apparently can't see them hiding in the back recesses of this nightmare of ingenuity.
(Confession: I don't know what I'm more embarrassed about as I post these images...showing you my messy fridge innards or the poor quality photography...actually I do know and I'm not sure what it means that I'm more concerned about how the pictures look than the state of my
leftovers.

And is that? Yep. I'm posting this and now I can see that I totally forgot to wipe out the drawer where I keep cheese and hot dogs.
Sigh. A woman's work is never done I guess.  But I'm good with that. I actually enjoy keeping house and tidying up. Granted some days I'm not quite as joyful as I go about my tasks as I should be...sometimes, it just has to be done even if I'm not feeling all that domestically queenish about it. I've also learned two important lessons about keeping house. Probably more but for the purpose of our conversation this morning I'll share these two.
Staying on top of it really does make it easier. Playing catch up all the time is a great way to shoot yourself in the foot when it comes to house work. Spending some time everyday keeping things in order is much, much better than having to spend all day trying to get it all squared away.
And the second thing is that little things, small touches of niceness, go a long way to making your home pleasant and enjoyable for your family. Wouldn't it be nice to just go buy whatever you wanted whenever you wanted in order to decorate your home however you wanted to? Well, like the gieco commercial says there is no money tree. But we can do simple things that add beauty that won't cost mega bucks. I think I haven't been as good as I could be with making our home place pleasant and enjoyable. But, I've been thinking about it lately and there are some things I can do that won't be costly or, more important to my beloved, require no painting.
I found a copy of an image I took several years ago of Rob and the kids and decided that even though it isn't the best photo technically speaking, it is precious to me because of the memories from that summer day we spent out roaming around. A simple black frame from a box in my garage and now I see their smiling faces every time I pour myself a cup of coffee.

A couple of days ago I came across this quote,
“Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
I think that is a wonderful philosophy to have when it comes to our stuff and what we have around our houses. Something else, I think is wonderful? Passing this concept of beauty and goodness on to our children. The other day Emily had bathroom duty. When she'd finished the cleaning part she decided to add a touch a beauty to the counter. Without any conversation with me she found one of our smaller vases in the garage, took the scissors into the backyard and came back inside with a lovely arrangement of greenery that adds color and aesthetic appeal to that corner of our home.
The simple things just make life so much sweeter don't they?

2 comments:

iarepilotswife said...

Ahhh...
Pictures of home.
[sigh]

Marty said...

The door is always open, my friend.