To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I am Blessed

So, like I mentioned earlier today, I've turned forty.
The big 4-0
Apparently I should be freaking out and having some sort of midlife crisis. In the words of one woman, I should be fighting it with all I've got and go into middle ageness kicking and screaming.
I've reached the top of the hill and will now begin the rather rapid descent down the other side.
My eye sight should begin to fade right...about...now.
Joints will begin to ache.
There will be much groaning and other odd sounds to make as I move around.
More sparkly high lights will emerge naturally in my hair.
Slightly more luggage will be found under my eyes than before.
But to be honest, I see fine and the achy joints have been around for a while. Thus far the only odd sounds I make are my ridiculously sounding hiccups and that's been happening all my life. I absolutely cannot hate my gray hair because the one time I complained about it my most wonderful husband said he loved seeing my hair turn gray because it meant we were growing old together.

And, the bags under my eyes? I'm sure they'll hardly be noticeable because of the laugh lines since my family  makes me laugh everyday. (Did you see today's earlier post?)
When I came in this morning from taking the girls to school I found a birthday message on the white board waiting for me from Sam.
I've had phone calls, text messages and e-cards from family and friends all day.
That wonderful husband of mine? He posted this and made me cry and go all mushy inside. He gets double points because it made me giggle too.
He also spent last night hanging all of this up for me...


I have some of the best and sweetest friends that make yummy stuff like this...

and give me this...

So turning forty? I'm loving it. Life is sweet and I am blessed.

3 comments:

Jan @twoscoopz said...

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Second, I won't tell you what's in store for you in the next few years. You're welcome ;)
and third?
I read your Husband's post and was so touched. Warmed my heart. So much so, I almost felt that I was eavesdropping on a private moment.
Both of you rock.

Happy Birthday, again, oh young one ;)

iarepilotswife said...

You've certainly aged beautifully. But, ACK - I showed Ryan your favorite pin cushion bed set and we almost bought it for you last week at Walmart. Just wasn't sure...
Glad someone did!

Happy Birthday again!

Beckie said...

Happy Birthday pretty lady!