To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Huh?

I was just as interested as everyone else when the story broke yesterday of the baby grand piano that mysteriously appeared on a sand bar in the FL keys.
Pianos are heavy.
Very heavy.
So how in the world would one end up in the surf and turf of Miami?
Tonight, Rob forwarded me a link of an interview from this morning where a sixteen year old kid cops to the prank.
Done mainly for fun, he's also hoping to use it on his college application.
I'm good with all this. I think it was funny and obviously well done. I'd really love to see the photographs of it just because.
What I don't understand is this...when asked about the 'why' part of the idea his response was he was trying to come up with the most 'artistic' thing he could do.
Setting a piano on fire and then dumping it onto a sand bar is considered art?
Really?
Was it funny?
Absolutely.
Does it show an amazing ingenuity?
You betcha.
But art?
I'm left scratching my head.

1 comments:

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

I would rather have heard him play it. :)