To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.
~William Henry Channing

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

I knew it!
There was no need for me to stay up and usher in the new year...it arrived all fine and dandy by itself. Kudos to those of you who enjoy ringing in the new but that activity shed its appeal to me a long time ago. Want to know what's really funny though?
Rob and I turned lights out at 11:45 pm.
We're so goofy.

So, will you make any resolutions this year? Here are a few standards that most people (at least in my world) will have on their list:
  • exercise more
  • start some kind of diet to lose weight
  • read their Bible more
  • pray more
  • budget and manage finances better
This is just the list I hear most repeated around this time each year...even by myself. I mean, how many times have you made these same kind of resolutions only fall short in carrying through with them? I'm reminded of this quote by Mark Twain who said,
"Now, is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions.Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual."
I don't think going to make these kinds of resolutions this year. Are there things I want to not do, or begin doing this year? Absolutely. And the dawning of a new year, even a wet soggy one like ours, seems like such a wonderful opportunity to begin fresh. But I think the reason we fail...I fail...so often to keep these resolutions for any length of time is because they're all very self focused. If my desire to exercise and lose weight or to be more spiritual or a better steward is tied back only to myself then it's like tying a rope around a blade of grass and hoping it's going to hold. If my goal is to just be the best me that I can be then I am doomed to failure.
Jonathon Edwards understood this I think. His list of seventy resolutions begins with "Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God' s glory".
So, if I'm going to make a resolution at all I want it to begin that way...to resolve for this year...all that I do be done to the glory of God. May He be pleased with the offering.

4 comments:

justine said...

I absolutely love your post and this picture is beautiful, love the texture.

Rosie said...

What a beautiful post and such a gorgeous photo! Have a wonderful 2011!

Simone said...

What wonderful sentiments. I really enjoyed sharing this, may your resolutions for 2011 be fulfilled!

Beckie said...

I'll be copying that resolution!